Airspace Application

Bruce Tuncks

Gosh DrZoos, you doctors are sure more important than the likes of me. I put that submission in in February and still haven't got an answer. I did get a polite acknowledgement from Saint John Morris, so they did get it for sure.

• Agree 1

Bruce, did you know you could legally operate a motor glider maintained by you, flown by you holding a certificate issued by Gliding Australia holding an airspace endorsement, on a self certified medical through the airspace you currently cannot fly through in your current aircraft? No GA licence, medical or flight review required. Seems like RAAus pilots are being treated unfairly, I believe there is a clause in the Civil Aviation Act stating there should not be any unfair limitations on the use of airspace.Privately operated balloons enjoy the same privileges as glider pilots with respect to CTA.

Maybe some research and a well written letter might gain approval. CASA have previously issued an exemption to a pilot operate his RAAus registered aircraft, holding only RAAus qual's in CTA. A search of the CASA list of exemptions should find this exemption.

This is just one of the many anomalies in Australian aviation regulation caused by the CASA policy of separating aviation into nice little watertight compartments. Instead of a set of laws and regulations that EVERYONE can obey regardless of membership of some ghastly private organisation, CASA get the organisations to write "standards" and "manuals" that are in many ways more prescriptive than what is required in GA.

The reason this is done is simply that CASA gets some free "dobbers" aka "stoolpigeons" to report if somebody, somewhere is breaking one of these standards.

If the PPL medical was dropped to a State car drivers licence and owner maintenance of private light aircraft and gliders introduced, as in Canada, there would be no need for the RAAus, GFA etc. to do anything except educate willing participants and promote their aviation activities. This would improve the atmosphere inside these bodies immensely as the power and control freaks who infest them would have no power or control and would leave.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Winner 1

• 3 weeks later...

When I was a kid in Alice Springs, we stopped on our bikes at a dingo-scalper's camp. The dingo man was friendly and chatted to us, and a sharp boy noticed that there were no little pelts on the line. He asked if the little ones didn't get paid for by the government.

" kill the bitches and pups? you think I'm crazy?" said the dingo-man " What would I do for a living next year?"

This explains a lot about bureaucracy, CASA and illegal drugs in particular.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I agree cooper, although this particular guy had reasonable common sense in most other areas. He had a successful second life in business after he retired. Alas there is something about flying which can bring about extreme loss of common sense. It might be related to the fact that fear of falling is one of the few inborn fears we have.