How to.....

Deskpilot

As you may know, I'm currently restoring a T83/4 Thruster to flying condition and obviously am looking forward to flying it. Problem is, I have an lapsed tricycle u/c license and have had only 2 lessons in a tail dragger. How do I go about being legal to fly it without paying out big dollars (which I haven't got) to get proficient and legal if using my plane to train in?

Also, will I be able to re-register it under it's original number, 10-1346

As you may know, I'm currently restoring a T83/4 Thruster to flying condition and obviously am looking forward to flying it. Problem is, I have an lapsed tricycle u/c license and have had only 2 lessons in a tail dragger. How do I go about being legal to fly it without paying out big dollars (which I haven't got) to get proficient and legal if using my plane to train in?Also, will I be able to re-register it under it's original number, 10-1346

You may have to put in a bit of work to find an instructor willing to instruct in your aircraft. Probably easiest if you could find a school that has a similar aircraft and learn the basics in theirs. As to how much, a lot will depend on you and how much you value your life and aircraft. Money spent in learning is well spent. Don't necessarily go for the cheap and easy. I would think that RAAus would let you have the old rego if no one else has it. Give them a call.

• Like 1

I think that as long as there's dual controls, you should be good to go.

But does the aircraft have to be factory built, that is 24 or 55 or whatever the Thruster version of rego for factory built is?

My CFI offers lessons in students aircraft if they have one.... it greatly reduces the costs.

Thrusters are 3 axis A/C? You already fly a Jab LSA? You may just need a type endorsement and finish your Tail Wheel Endorsement if it's a tailwheeler.

Nightmare, it is a nightmare. I'm not sufficiently well off to complete my conversion and my restoration will be a long one for the same reason. A little at a time. The T83/4 what ever mine is, is a single seat aircraft so can't fly with an instructor. Might have to do it the old way, teach myself. Only trouble is, getting recognized as competent. The lessons I have had were in a Crafter's SportCub, tandem seat "Cub" like aircraft. Beautiful plane to fly and so easy to land. Pity costs have gone up so quickly and my pension has remained the same. Some how, some day, I will fly my plane.

• Helpful 1

Nightmare, it is a nightmare. I'm not sufficiently well off to complete my conversion and my restoration will be a long one for the same reason. A little at a time. The T83/4 what ever mine is, is a single seat aircraft so can't fly with an instructor. Might have to do it the old way, teach myself. Only trouble is, getting recognized as competent. The lessons I have had were in a Crafter's SportCub, tandem seat "Cub" like aircraft. Beautiful plane to fly and so easy to land. Pity costs have gone up so quickly and my pension has remained the same. Some how, some day, I will fly my plane.

Have a chat with a local flight instructor, for a single seater it may only require a strip run or two with the instructor observing. When you said, lapsed licence, does that mean you are no longer a financial RAA member? I believe you can get current again in any qualifications just by doing your BFR and becoming financial again. You need all the endorsements for that type of aircraft, so if you need a taildragger endorsement, finish it off as a priority.

This sport demands deep pockets. A bit like owning a boat. If you cant train properly due to funds shortage then dont risk your life and the reputation of the sport. Reading your posts leads me think that you want to cut corners because of lack of funds.

We all understand your passion but dont risk it if you cant do it properly.

Join a local club get to know the guys and gals , do your BFR , Be part of the community in the way that best matches your circumstances and along the way you will get plenty of invites to go flying.

A quick way to cause a lot of grief would be self training in a Thruster. It is many years since I flew a two seat Thruster and my first flight was with the seller sitting in the RH seat. I did a perfect 3 pointer and he nearly had kittens. I was current on taildraggers such as Lightwings but the Thruster is different from most others. You would be unlikely to kill yourself, but it would be easy to cause a lot of damage to the undercarriage and airframe. After over 200 hours of Thruster time I think that very first one was one of the best. They are not easy to land so I would suggest you try to fly a 2 seater to at least get some feel for how they go.

• Agree 1