It's about time!

At 75, I'm about to take up where I left off over 50 years ago as an Air Training Corps Civilian Instructor and later Pilot Officer with the RAFVR(T) in Hove, UK. Domestic circumstances at that time forced me to abandon an opportunity to take up a gliding course, and I had to be satisfied with pursuing a career in publicity for two UK independent airlines, then into aviation industry journalism before migrating to Australia in 1973 and taking another, non-aviation, career path. Since retiring and moving to Beachmere, Queensland, a couple of years ago, I've watched daily as light aircraft from nearby Caboolture airfield and commercial jets on approach to Brisbane fly right overhead, thinking to myself, "Why the hell aren't I up there now?"

So, at last, I've signed up for an RPC course at Caboolture and will be starting lessons next week. Looking forward to finally getting the wings I wanted half a century ago!

• Like 7
  • Winner 2

Congratulations on your first post and the decision. I recall playing tennis at Warner's bay and looking up at a DC-6 flying north to PNG, from Mascot, and thinking "I want to be flying something like that". Without encouragement from any one I eventually did. Realise the dream. Nev

Congratulations on your first post and the decision. I recall playing tennis at Warner's bay and looking up at a DC-6 flying north to PNG, from Mascot, and thinking "I want to be flying something like that". Without encouragement from any one I eventually did. Realise the dream. Nev

Thanks, Nev. My big regret now is that I left it too late to live the big dream of becoming a commercial pilot. Ah, well, flying for fun will have to do instead! Mike

For fun YOU do it when and where YOU want to. Commercial flying isn't what it was. The "Best" days are gone. Look after your rights to fly. Nev

Absolutely right Nev! I was lucky enough to have worked for Dan Air and British Eagle in the late 1960s and both were exciting companies with a great feeling of camaraderie. Even though I wasn't on the operational side of either airline, I spent a lot of time flying with them and made many friends among pilots and cabin crew, all of whom really loved the life. Sadly, today's airline industry doesn't seem to foster the same sort of "belonging" and loyalty among its staff that we experienced in the Good Old Days. At least that's how I see it as an outsider. Mike

• Agree 1

098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif Welcome Mike,

Never too late! I know lots of pilots still happily flying at 70+ and 80+ and even one at 90. We have the advantage of uncomplicated airspace at a quiet airstrip where we fly, which means more time flying and less wondering where everyone is and our slot in the circuit. Lots of old fliers come out for smoko and a chat, so it's also a social occasion.

Sue

098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif Welcome Mike,Never too late! I know lots of pilots still happily flying at 70+ and 80+ and even one at 90. We have the advantage of uncomplicated airspace at a quiet airstrip where we fly, which means more time flying and less wondering where everyone is and our slot in the circuit. Lots of old fliers come out for smoko and a chat, so it's also a social occasion.

Sue

Thanks Sue - I was wondering whether the only thing older than me at Caboolture would be the DC3! Looking forward to making lots of new "old" friends! Mike

At 75, I'm about to take up where I left off over 50 years ago,So, at last, I've signed up for an RPC course at Caboolture and will be starting lessons next week. Looking forward to finally getting the wings I wanted half a century ago!

G`Day and 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif, Flying Officer Kite! SIR!...upload_2016-10-1_13-23-58.png.10169dca7c0fe6e2d5102c318c0ac567.png...022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif.

At the age of 86, Ron Biondi, up here at Deeral, Nth Queensland, still owns and flies his WB Drifter, regularly.

Franco.

Anyhow Mike. The big stuff is easier to fly than ultra lights so get a good instructor and make Him/ Her put you though the wringer. Get your money's worth. One of those things Farri flys is ok. Called a drifter WB. Not the hardest taildragger to fly but great view and it's real plane. Make sure it's well looked after and safe. I wish you well with your training.. All here will be following you with interest.. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

G`Day and 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif, Flying Officer Kite! SIR!...[ATTACH=full]46068[/ATTACH]...022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif.At the age of 86, Ron Biondi, up here at Deeral, Nth Queensland, still owns and flies his WB Drifter, regularly.

Franco.

Stand easy Farri! 86 eh? Not sure if that's an inspiration or a challenge! Whatever - I'm up for it . Mike

• Like 1

Anyhow Mike. The big stuff is easier to fly than ultra lights so get a good instructor and make Him/ Her put you though the wringer. Get your money's worth. One of those things Farri flys is ok. Called a drifter WB. Not the hardest taildragger to fly but great view and it's real plane. Make sure it's well looked after and safe. I wish you well with your training.. All here will be following you with interest.. Nev

I hear the really big ones fly themselves! I'm planning to get as far as I can with qualifications before money and time run out, but I don't think either will last long enough for an ATPL! 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Welcome Mike! As others have said, it is never too late. The most difficult step is your first.

I've wanted to fly ever since my dad got his PPL back in the 1960's. He passed away in 2003, and I still hadn't take that first and hardest step. Well, at the age of 50, I bit the bullet and started my flight training in April last year, completing my RPC in February this year.

I quite often fly into Caboolture these days. I'm actually planning to fly there tomorrow to have coffee and lunch with my mum. I hope the weather is kinder than it is today.

Tony

Welcome Mike! As others have said, it is never too late. The most difficult step is your first.I've wanted to fly ever since my dad got his PPL back in the 1960's. He passed away in 2003, and I still hadn't take that first and hardest step. Well, at the age of 50, I bit the bullet and started my flight training in April last year, completing my RPC in February this year.

I quite often fly into Caboolture these days. I'm actually planning to fly there tomorrow to have coffee and lunch with my mum. I hope the weather is kinder than it is today.

Tony

101_thank_you.gif.0bf9113ab8c9fe9c7ebb42709fda3359.gif Local weather for tomorrow is forecast to be good - as it has been for most days this past few months! Won't be able to meet with you tomorrow, but please let me know next time you're dropping in and I'll join you for a coffee and a progress report - my intro flight will be on Thursday and I'll start proper training next week in a Foxbat. Mike

• Like 1

Thanks, Nev. My big regret now is that I left it too late to live the big dream of becoming a commercial pilot. Ah, well, flying for fun will have to do instead! Mike

Mate, your timing's perfect! As someone else wrote here, RA is the new lawn bowls...)

And here's another thought: you're about to embark on the first hours of a wonderful experience. After that, you and others may accumulate 100s maybe 1000s of hours...but each one of us only gets to do those first magic hours once.

Enjoy 'em Mike...I surely am....)

If you fly commercially you DO get paid to do it and that's better than a poke in the eye with a burnt stick, but if it's some A/Hole employing you who hates pilots and think they are all bludgers who should do it for nothing, you are better off calling the shots yourself. (and you can service and build your own plane, if you are lucky) Fly when YOU want to and pick your weather carefully.

The plane.... U/L's. When I say harder to fly It's that they respond (react) quicker to wind gusts and don't have as much inertia and such so you get busy sometimes to pin them on the deck exactly where you wanted them to go. All aeroplanes (3 axis) do fly much the same and obey the same laws of physics. If you are a bit into physics (newtons kind) It helps a lot to work out what's going on with your flying device. The plane you mention has plenty of wing area as you will notice. Nev

Thanks, Nev, those are all good points, and I note your comment on the relative instability of u/l's in comparison with the bigger birds in gusty conditions. I suppose learning to handle a light plane in those conditions is probably one of the most valuable skills to develop - like learning to drive on wet icy roads as I did 60-odd years ago in the UK. But I think I'll pass on building my own - assembling Airfix models is my limit!

Mike

Mate, your timing's perfect! As someone else wrote here, RA is the new lawn bowls...)And here's another thought: you're about to embark on the first hours of a wonderful experience. After that, you and others may accumulate 100s maybe 1000s of hours...but each one of us only gets to do those first magic hours once.

Enjoy 'em Mike...I surely am....)

On balance, Bob, I imagine flying will be more satisfying than bowls (although there's no denying there's a lot of skill involved in that game too). I still remember my first "magic hour" of flight as a passenger (or 'ballast' as the pilot referred to me) in an RAF training glider 50 years ago. The moment when the nose dropped suddenly as soon as the towline was released is still the stuff of nightmares, but half an hour of soaring over Stonehenge at 1000ft soon made up for it! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Mike

101_thank_you.gif.0bf9113ab8c9fe9c7ebb42709fda3359.gif Local weather for tomorrow is forecast to be good - as it has been for most days this past few months! Won't be able to meet with you tomorrow, but please let me know next time you're dropping in and I'll join you for a coffee and a progress report - my intro flight will be on Thursday and I'll start proper training next week in a Foxbat. Mike

On balance, Bob, I imagine flying will be more satisfying than bowls (although there's no denying there's a lot of skill involved in that game too). I still remember my first "magic hour" of flight as a passenger (or 'ballast' as the pilot referred to me) in an RAF training glider 50 years ago. The moment when the nose dropped suddenly as soon as the towline was released is still the stuff of nightmares, but half an hour of soaring over Stonehenge at 1000ft soon made up for it! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gifMike

Yes. Bowls wouldn't do it for me either, Mike. But to each their own.

What you and I have on our side are:

the evolution of the microlight into sophisticated aircraft, many of them free of major vices and a pleasure to fly,

the evolution of the licensing system to allow the enjoyment of that type of flying and

the relative affordability of all that now.

I have never flown a Foxbat, but would very much like to. I like everything I hear about them, apart from the fact they are not available in kit form! I would think they would be an excellent aircraft to train in.

I am currently building a Savannah, an aircraft of similar performance (I think?) if a bit slower.

So true, IBob. We also have the advantage of personal computers and devices to make calculations, information collection, communication and even simulated flight easily accessible. Unheard of when I first looked at learning to fly!

Everything I've seen and read (on the internet of course) about the Foxbat makes me confident that it's a great choice for an ab-initio student, as well as being highly regarded by experienced RA flyers. I like the look of the Savannah too, but, as I've mentioned elsewhere, it's wiser to confine my aircraft building efforts to plastic model kits!

Mike