Does anyone know further about this plane please?

Right. Attended Cybernetic Serendipity exhibition in London in '68, which was all kinetic art of one sort or another, from very large to very small.

While it was a lot of fun, it seemed to me the work fell into 3 groupings:

1. Great ideas but poorly executed (the artists/creatives, defeated by lack of technical ability).

2. Mundane ideas well executed (the technicians, creatively challenged).

3. Great ideas that had also been beautifully executed. This group was very small, which seemed to suggest there was not much collaboration between the artists and the techs. I wonder what hinders that?

I'm not suggesting Mr Feast falls into any of these groups. I rather think he doesn't.

I can't add much but Graham did tell me that he had to literally hang his arm and much of his body weight out the sides to get the thing to roll. After he got it on the ground for the last time (which was effectively a crash landing) he kicked the shit out of it to ensure it '....would never fly again'. He was a huge fan of the concept and the aircraft itself but its flight characteristics unfortunately left a lot to be desired.

• Informative 1
  • Winner 1

That's a bit harsh iBob. I'm a patent attorney and I spend a lot of time trying to convince clients NOT to file a patent application. But, inventors are sometimes what I would call "special" characters and in some instances there is no way to convince them not to file (and they may have various reasons for wanting a 'patent'). And, if a client says they want to file there is risk in saying no. If someone else gets a patent for something similar to what they wanted to file you can end up with a very pissed-off ex-client who may sue you. In the US a few years ago, one disgruntled client shot and killed his patent attorney (and the attorney's receptionist) when he saw someone else's application for a similar technology to his, and after his attorney convinced him not to file. Sorry, couldn't let that comment stand unanswered.099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif

That's a bit harsh iBob. I'm a patent attorney and I spend a lot of time trying to convince clients NOT to file a patent application. But, inventors are sometimes what I would call "special" characters and in some instances there is no way to convince them not to file (and they may have various reasons for wanting a 'patent'). And, if a client says they want to file there is risk in saying no. If someone else gets a patent for something similar to what they wanted to file you can end up with a very pissed-off ex-client who may sue you. In the US a few years ago, one disgruntled client shot and killed his patent attorney (and the attorney's receptionist) when he saw someone else's application for a similar technology to his, and after his attorney convinced him not to file. Sorry, couldn't let that comment stand unanswered.099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif

I'm sorry if that offends you, 2tonne. No doubt it is a necessary service at times, and no doubt there are good people working in it. It sounds like you are one such.

And I do take your point that some 'inventors' are 'special' characters: I have run across one or two such in my lifetime. And, as you say, if a client is determined to file, despite best advice, then you have done your duty.

My comments were based on my own experience in NZ, as an employee (not as an applicant) over a number of years. We were developing electronic weight and then 3 dimensional optical sizing for fruit at the time. We received multiple approaches after one initial inquiry, and two things in particular struck us:

1. The pitch was firmly based on the stock market drivers, greed and fear and

2. Given the amazing string of qualifications of the various patents folk on the letterhead, what a pity it was they weren't actually developing something themselves.