Cub burns at Dubbo airport,both ok

Regardless of how hard you hold aileron into wind, if there's a sudden change in direction and speed - the Cub wing can lift alarmingly.(It's full over into wind 100% of the time for me!). Have had a few adrenaline moments even with the heavier Super Cub model. Pilot seems very experienced overall so was probably confident in those conditions. Plain bad luck to bust a fuel line, but lucky to get out ok. Always had misgivings about plastic line fuel gauges inside the cockpit - but whether these were ruptured, or that occurred in the engine bay we don't know yet.

happy days,

American Legend Cub AL-3, (at least thats what written on the checklist!) 24-8801. I was learning to fly it, beautiful aircraft, vintage appearance with latest glass cockpit. Fortunately Dan also has a Super Cub (its got flaps!) so hopefully that will be my training aircraft - when the poor bugger recovers!

There's a story on it on Prime news "Lucky escape in Dubbo crash".

David

I just tried the link, nothing about the Cub incident,. . . but there is a report of a different crash at Cryon, near Walgett - ag aircraft down and this one was fatal. . . .www.dailyliberal.com.au

Hello Phil, you have to dredge through the 'back pages' of local news on the Daily Libel site to get to it - 2 reports, dated October 31. Click on "+more local news" and keep hammering the buttons!

The Walgett one is sad - we need to ensure the affected people get the support they need. As a member of the Rural Fire Service, I often get called to motor vehicle accidents, and when there is injury or worse, it takes me days to recover, and then it is still a shadow in the background. PLEASE fly safe!

• Like 2

Hello Phil, you have to dredge through the 'back pages' of local news on the Daily Libel site to get to it - 2 reports, dated October 31. Click on "+more local news" and keep hammering the buttons!The Walgett one is sad - we need to ensure the affected people get the support they need. As a member of the Rural Fire Service, I often get called to motor vehicle accidents, and when there is injury or worse, it takes me days to recover, and then it is still a shadow in the background. PLEASE fly safe!

Thank you for that David.

We have a similar prob here in the UK, especially with 'Local' type newspapers / websites for same. .. where you have to dig around a bit for info after following links. . .

I take off my hat to you for being ( I assume ) a volunteer firefighter too. Much respect SIr.

With regard to your final comment on the subject of safe flying; I have always tried my best to do that. . .ever since an incident back when I had amassed the dizzy sum of 200 HOURS, at 100 hours, I thought I knew it all you see, and at 200, well, I KNEW that I knew it all. And all that knowledge with it's accompanying unjustified confidence very nearly got me seriously 'Dedded' along with the innocent friends who thought I was superman because I could drive an aeroplane. . .

An early lesson in this regard is never a bad thing for any aviator I strongly believe, . . . especially for us 'Leisure' flyers. . . When the professionals occasionally get it wrong, it ought to hammer the point home to us amateurs.

This is where sites such as this one are Sooooooo important; reading the comments made by other pilots and add it to the grey matter could well have saved a few lives I reckon. . . .THANK YOU to blokes like Ian, who give of their time to provide the platform for us all to learn something..

Phil.

• Agree 4
  • Winner 1