Big Rubber?

NT5224

Hi folks

So I've been reading a lot about 'Alaskan style' Tundra Tyres lately, the alleged pros and cons, (from both the regulator and pilots' points of view), but haven't seen too many examples around in Australia.

Has anybody on here any personal experience of operating an aircraft with them? I'd like to know more about their effect on aircraft performance and stability, but also about the process of certification (if that be required) as a modification under RAA in Australia. Has anybody imported them and fitted them after-market?

Cheers

Alan

I would say it would depend on your rego, 19 reg it shouldn't be an issue but a 24 reg may have a few extra paper hoops to jump through.

I ran standard 8:50-6 for the first little while before switching over to 23 inch bushwheels. Originally I was planning to swap and change for longer trips but after putting on the bigger wheels I will never go back. They did slow me down by around 5 knots but that extra drag did help to make plane feel more solid in the air (if that is a thing! It's hard to explain but certainly improved things) and the difference when landing or taxiing on rough ground was amazing.

With my trailing link suspension I already have 6-8 inches of travel but when I put the big wheels on (running around 8-10 psi) it felt like they doubled it! It has made me a bit lazier to a certain degree as they change all 'ordinary' landings into greasers. Only the roughest landings give a bounce (yes I still do them occasionally) but even then it is a gentle bounce.

As I said I would never go back, the extra versatility of being able to confidently use paddocks and unimproved strips nearly anywhere enroute is a big plus to me whether it is for a forced landing or just a pit stop I think they are well and truly worth the 5 knot dockage.

• Helpful 1
  • Informative 1

I think they are well and truly worth the 5 knot dockage.

What is the weight dockage though. I copped 1.5Kg per wheel to go over to Condors on my Savannah and that is acceptable. Not sure I would be comfortable giving anymore away or I would have to trade in my heavy prop on a ground adjustable one.

I just walked past my plane and they are 26inch wheels, not sure how I came up with 23 (memory can't be that bad)

I don't remember what the old 8:50-6 weighed but the 26inch wheels are around 9.5 kgs (again working on memory).

You definitely have to redo w&b but I would rather go without niceties like cabin heat ect and have the bigger wheels.

• Informative 1