Aileron control

g2omer

Hi, when i received my aircraft ,about 6 month ago, I found the aileron control a bit stiff and I lubricated the control and all work ok but in the last stage of flap ( full flap) the aileron control is stiff, little hard to move, even in the ground. But honestly , I don't use this stage often.... Is it normal ?

sorry for my english

Francois

• Agree 1

You don't say what type of aircraft. It certainly sounds abnormal and normally flap shouldn't affect aileron, unless it is a flaperon. Whatever type it is it needs to be checked out by someone who knows the type of aircraft.

If it is stiff it doesn't necessarily preclude the fact that something may be just about to break.

• Agree 1

Hi Francois,

Assuming that your aircraft is a Savannah because you posted in the Savannah section.

That stiffness problem with the controls sounds like the aileron control rod spherical bearings binding with the bell crank at full flap and full deflection. Check them or get someone familiar with the savannah to check them, access through the big hatch in the bottom of the rear fuselage. They should have a couple special spacers on one side and one on the other of the spherical bearing. If the original builder just used standard washers on the AN5 bolts, or the spacers in th wrong order, then it will bind. I think that's what it will be, hopefully.

Cheers

Rick

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Helpful 1

Hi Francois,Assuming that your aircraft is a Savannah because you posted in the Savannah section.

That stiffness problem with the controls sounds like the aileron control rod spherical bearings binding with the bell crank at full flap and full deflection. Check them or get someone familiar with the savannah to check them, access through the big hatch in the bottom of the rear fuselage. They should have a couple special spacers on one side and one on the other of the spherical bearing. If the original builder just used standard washers on the AN5 bolts, or the spacers in th wrong order, then it will bind. I think that's what it will be, hopefully.

Cheers

Rick

At the place in red ? (In the picture)

IMG_5416.JPG.afc4cbb177070018257d62b21ddb053a.JPG

Hi Francois,Assuming that your aircraft is a Savannah because you posted in the Savannah section.

Cheers

Rick

I had the time for verify today : this is exactly the problem. I will not use the last stage of flap until I do the mod.Thanks