FAA

Yenn

On these forums there have been references to FAA being similar to CASA, but they also have to promote aviation. I read the FAA Safety Briefing, which I think compares very favourably with CASAs Safety Digest.

To get this go to faa.gov/news/safety_briefing

You should find it interesting and educational.

The FAA does not "have to promote aviation".

I agree that their safety briefings compare favourably with the Safety Digest - a pity that CASA ceased the Safety Digest ages ago as their current magazine is of a much lower standard.

• Agree 4

CASA see themselves as the Regulator and little else. If they are cash constrained I can see the emphasis but it's become more of a culture ingrained in the organisation that is all pervading. Talking around the traps leads me to the conclusion that I had already come to , that the last CEO, Mark Skidmore had good intentions, and was well respected but concluded the fight was unwinnable. To walk away from the remaining 3 years of his tenure at a good remuneration figure, he must have had the courage of his convictions. Nev

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

The cut and paste from FAA's own website sure does suggest they do...although they don't use the term "promote", "encourage and develop" seems awfully similar to "promote". I suspect that OP's point was that other regulators are far better at it than ours.

Summary of Activities

We're responsible for the safety of civil aviation. The Federal Aviation Act of 1958 created the agency under the name Federal Aviation Agency. We adopted our present name in 1967 when we became a part of the Department of Transportation. Our major roles include:

• Regulating civil aviation to promote safety

• Encouraging and developing civil aeronautics, including new aviation technology

• Developing and operating a system of air traffic control and navigation for both civil and military aircraft

• Researching and developing the National Airspace System and civil aeronautics

• Developing and carrying out programs to control aircraft noise and other environmental effects of civil aviation

• Regulating U.S. commercial space transportation

• Like 2
  • Agree 1