My first solo nav trip

numptie

Hi folks,

I've just spent four wonderful days at Moruya doing my cross country training. I managed to do one flight per day. Fantastic weather (most of the time) and absolutely awesome scenery.

The photos are from my first solo trip on Tuesday. Moruya to Merimbula for a full stop to get an oil change and a cup of coffee. Then to Jindabyne where I found out there's still snow on the mountain tops. Then an overfly of Cooma and the dry desolate counrtyside around there tracking for Tuross Heads for some track crawling back to Moruya. All up 2.9 hours.

Hope you all like the photos.

Coastline1.thumb.jpg.712296cd0e8103d5b7b7e87b9a877d12.jpg

Coastline2.thumb.jpg.88a8b5d9cac27161dea69ae425d0f15d.jpg

Coastline3.thumb.jpg.005af5cb55f8697d7dc7b3d2a119534d.jpg

Narooma.thumb.jpg.d236f5a11f84d9ea008983ba83dd6e14.jpg

462932359_TowardsMerimbula.thumb.jpg.bfe608ac556e985afd561c3bc9e323df.jpg

982217380_DryCountry.thumb.jpg.80efc92f9b521e82342ba373ef576237.jpg

Mountains.thumb.jpg.6a03c63f197f5fee3462b3f8b3a9c2f6.jpg

Snowies.thumb.jpg.8cf02fb1cfad11a99f7dd1ef0b429e92.jpg

Tuross1.thumb.jpg.d36d10b82d0ecbf75e070d2c8b0f3552.jpg

Tuross2.thumb.jpg.8e92d8afea27271881411b3555762807.jpg

Thanks. The other trips were longer and they went to Canberra, Goulburn, Wollongong then down through the Nowra GA lane back to Moruya. They were great trips too but I only took photos on the first solo.

You're right, you should get the x-country done. It's amazing how different our wonderful country looks from a few thousand feet in the air and also amazing how different it can look from one day to the next.

Bob

What a great nav! (Long for a first solo one though). From the sea to the mountains, beach to snow, civilisation to designated remote area. Good stuff.

There's something special about being on your own up there - it's different to having pax.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. Wish I would've taken photos last weekend when I went over Thredbo and Perisher Blue. Oh well, maybe next time.

I'm not sure what the new requirement is Aussie Steve. I'm doing the GA cross country and I just do the 7 flights my CFI has in the schedule for me. One thing I do know is that if the weather holds out this weekend I'll be doing the test, and that will be the PPL over and done with. Then it's time to fly, fly, fly and continue learning.

Actually, I think you are right. 15 hours of dual and 5 hours of solo is the minimum. I end up doing 7 flights so I can go to a controlled airport and a GAAP as well. It'll end up a bit over 20 hours but I'm not too worried ..... time spent flying is time seldom wasted.

The PPL is 40 hours total, of which 5 hours must be pilot in command, 5 hours cross country pilot in command and must include 2 hours of instrument time.

The RA Nav endorsement is currently 5 hours but it may increase soon. That being said, the GA Nav component is only 5 hours minimum, however people rarely achieve that.

• 3 weeks later...

My PPL test

Just to update everyone on what happened after that solo trip, I didn't manage to get the test done when I wanted to. The weather turned bad on the day I had my test booked and I think CASA and BOM joined forces to stuff me around because every time (3 more times after the initial booking date) I had the ATO booked and ready to go for the PPL flight test, the wind and rain started.

Finally I managed to get the test done on Saturday. Left YMRY for a flight through the Nowra GA lane, overflyinging Wollongong on to YSBK for a full stop and quick visit to the pilot shop. I didn't know Bankstown was such a busy place. At one stage we were 4th in line at the holding point with 3 aircraft in the run-up bay and another 9 lined up behind us waiting to go. Anyway, after an upwind departure from RWY 29R it was on to Goulburn and then down to Bateman's Bay and back to YMRY. The end result ..... Pass.....WOOHOO!!!!

So now all I have to do is wait for CASA to scrutinise the paperwork, enter it into the database, forget to save the data, find out they've lost the original paperwork, send me a letter via snailmail telling me I have to redo all of the paperwork and send it back in, receive the paperwork only to realise they had it all in the first place, re-enter it in the database, leave it in the 'pending' folder for the mandatory two month rest period, print the license, loose it and re-print it, mail it out via China, Mongolia and the Chad and.......then get it in my mail box ready for me to go flying X-country.

If nothing else, hopefully all of these handling inefficiencies and delays in CASA will give me a bit of time to save so I can hire an aircraft for a nice big trip. I can't wait!!!! :)

Bob

Congratulations Numptie!

That's a bit too true about CASA. Getting my ASIC was like that, and I applied for a CASA photo licence at the same time. They said my licence had been sent by registered mail. That's going back to about December 05, and the photo licence still hasn't turned up!

When I chased this they said don't worrry about it, just use the old licence and ASIC.

The old ASIC has to be returned within a month, so it can't be used for long. I am still waiting after my photo of drivers licence was lost and it was all done again. Hopefully I will get it before I get too old to fly, but they need to hurry.

I am off to Victoria to see my great granddaughter at Christmas, so you can see the age showing.

Thanks everyone. Some interesting comments about CASA there. The ironic thing is.....I'm a public servant (obviously not CASA) and I hate Government Departments and the lack of urgency with which they all seem to do things.