Alodine and other aluminium treatments-emporers clothes?

rmorton

Well before I get my kit I am having a go at some of the skills I will need. One of which is the preparation and painting of the aluminium. To this end I have got some Aluprep and Alodine. Having just had a go I am a little underwhelmed. I was rather hoping for for a significant colour change , however after soaking in the Alodine for the best part of 7 minutes it just seems to have dulled the surface. I will let it dry and then see how it goes.

I am not sure yet if this is the route I will go or weather I will try just the Prekote and primer. Still fun trying out , but it does have a sense of emperors clothes about it :)

Well before I get my kit I am having a go at some of the skills I will need. One of which is the preparation and painting of the aluminium. To this end I have got some Aluprep and Alodine. Having just had a go I am a little underwhelmed. I was rather hoping for for a significant colour change , however after soaking in the Alodine for the best part of 7 minutes it just seems to have dulled the surface. I will let it dry and then see how it goes.I am not sure yet if this is the route I will go or weather I will try just the Prekote and primer. Still fun trying out , but it does have a sense of emperors clothes about it :)

You will also discover there are many views, some fiercely held, on just how to dress that particular emperor.....)

Alumiprep and alodine are the recommended treatments for sheet aluminium and castings before painting or even if not painting. The colour change is not much (a light yellow) Be careful with those chemicals. I think particularly alodine is dangerous on the skin. There is no build up so it can be used over all surfaces on an engine or gearbox. Magnesium requires much more in it's surface treatment as it's very chemically active. Nev