Annuals

rhtrudder

Any proposed changes to regulations should be safety based and risk assessed. I can hear the groans, but honestly the only way to beat the creep in regulations is to baffle the authors with their own red tape.Step 1 - ask why the change is necessary? Not someone's pet thing or gut instinct, hard and verified statistics which are made available for review.

Step 2 - Identify affected parties and involve them in fixing the problem.

Step 3 - complete a proper hazard identification process, risk assess the hazards, develop mitigators for any significant hazards, then review them looking for hazards they may create.

Step 4 - plan the introduction of the changes - including training affected personnel and a post implementation review and refine/withdraw changes depending on the effectiveness.

This is very roughly the process required by a sound SMS. At best the work involved might make the rule changers think twice before putting pen to paper, worse case it might actually produce some good outcomes. Simply changing or introducing rules does not improve safety!

In other words, bury them in their own BS.

Great work! Step 1 could be also be run through an industry council (if one existed) to show industry support and qualification. An industry council BS filter could be a body made up from reps from the existing associations. Such an industry council would be a body of compatible magnitude to CASA as far as representative weight would be concerned and have more impact than any single entity. However I suspect there is not much appetite for a collective body among the associations.

However I suspect there is not much appetite for a collective body among the associations.

Given the requirement to have an effective Safety Management System their appetite means nothing. A concerted effort by a wise group of members could easily force this process to be adopted.

• Like 1

So I shouldn't assume anything, but I have asked for clarification several times.

What should I do. If the powers that be treat me like a mushroom I can only reciprocate.

Given the requirement to have an effective Safety Management System their appetite means nothing. A concerted effort by a wise group of members could easily force this process to be adopted.

I have written to AOPA, RAA and others on this and so far not had even a reply. Bearing in mind I am a secretary of an industry peak body (honorary) and know that governments only listen to peak representative bodies and then pressure the regulators to act in consultation. It will require a groundswell member movement. Power does not like to share.

Maybe a chat with the board, if no suitable response the maybe a chat with CASA? Without making it a threat, indicate your planned approach should no suitable response be forthcoming.

The only long term solution to these problems is to establish the process I suggested in an earlier post.

Don't lose sight that this is all about accountability, sound processes leading to improving safety.

Increasing regulations and introducing restrictions does not improve safety. Effective education improves safety.

Education may involve the written word, mass presentations, online training, 1:1 training, demonstrations and many other forms. There is little education being delivered by the organisation.

• Like 1

I do my own annuals for my GA plane. Experimental, owner built and I have done the SAAA course.I am assuming this will cover my RAAus Corby which I also built. Have asked RAAus several times by email, but only get ignored.

If E&LAAA get up they are saying 2 yearly.

Mick. Have a look at CASA site, look up form 166 A,B and C.

It asks for pilot filling in questions and Dr. questions.

You will be asked if you have ever had diabetis and the Dr will be asked if there are any reasons you would not pass Ausroads diabetis questions. I would guess that you should be able to get a Recreational Licence from CASA.

Not sure if this helps Yen, I did the L1 course today. My understanding is that with this qualification you can do your own maintenance, including annuals, on your RAAus Corby, as long as it is not used for flight training. Single seat, so I guess not. There was also mention of recognition of previous maintenance courses and training as well. Tony