New game - Name that rivet

rmorton

So I have read the instructions and it says there are 3 rivet sizes, but in the box there are significantly more! the picture shows what I got in the kit, can anyone hazard a guess at what a,b,c,d,e are? c and d, I think are the A5's but they are very slightly different. For the fin assembly I need the A5 and flat head rivets for the rudder hinge brackets. Answers on a postcard...

1379445982_SavannahTools.jpg.e114176838811ca839fe809b66075dc4.jpg

1895756891_SavannahTools(1).jpg.6da351a940021be8907e53e84c506e9c.jpg

So I have read the instructions and it says there are 3 rivet sizes, but in the box there are significantly more! the picture shows what I got in the kit, can anyone hazard a guess at what a,b,c,d,e are? c and d, I think are the A5's but they are very slightly different. For the fin assembly I need the A5 and flat head rivets for the rudder hinge brackets. Answers on a postcard...[ATTACH]48061[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]48062[/ATTACH]

Can I suggest that you post here in one thread (or a selected few), rather than starting a new thread for every question? That will keep your postings in one (or few) places and make it far easier for yourself and others to follow your progress.

I find the continuous threads here very useful in my build, the only drawback being that some of them are so long, it can be a slow business finding the part you want. Accordingly, I made my own posts by aircraft section (roughly), but that still sees my build scattered around here, and I don't now think it's the best idea. I could have been using the search function here a lot more than I was initially.

As for the rivets, what they mean (I think) is that there are 3 diameters of blind rivet.

Almost all the construction is done with those A4 and A5 which you have large quantities of.

The manual very occasionally calls for the other (much smaller quantities) of different size/head/length rivets, as they are required.

So you can get out the two large bags of A4/A5, and put the rest away until they are called for.

You may or may not have the A3 countersink/flat rivets called for, which is pesky as they are required immediately on the fin (where many of us start).

• Agree 1

A single thread also works for you like this:

Once I (or anyone else) responds or posts to your thread, then the site assumes we want to 'follow' your thread, and sets that automatically.

What that means is that, every time you post after that, we are notified with a little red flag up to the left there.

So if you stick to one thread, those people interested in your thread will be notified every time you post to that thread.

There are other options here: we can, for instance, choose to 'follow' a particular member, regardless of where he/she posts. But the above happens automatically.

Thanks Ibob, I see what you mean about the threads, they are very confusing. Will leave this one to die and keep the coming home one for the questions. Can a moderator merge them?

You are also right that the majority of rivets are the A4(3.1mm) and A5(3.8mm) (I have wrongly marked them up in the picture) there are a smaller bag of A3(2.5mm) marked as "a" in the photo.

"b" is a 3.2mm flat head,

"c" no idea,

"d" flat head A5(3.8mm),

"e" no idea

Thanks Ibob, I see what you mean about the threads, they are very confusing. Will leave this one to die and keep the coming home one for the questions. Can a moderator merge them?You are also right that the majority of rivets are the A4(3.1mm) and A5(3.8mm) (I have wrongly marked them up in the picture) there are a smaller bag of A3(2.5mm) marked as "a" in the photo.

"b" is a 3.2mm flat head,

"c" no idea,

"d" flat head A5(3.8mm),

"e" no idea

That's a good question, and having written that post, I was wondering the same thing: I should like to pull my stuff together, or link it in some way. I'll ask Admin.

The pic is too small to see your rivets clearly, but they will sort themselves out:

the 'odd' ones are either a different head, or longer, or steel, or painted.

• More 1

The majority of rivets are 1/8 and 5/32 there are a few that are countersunk..THESE GO IN THE RUDDER/FIN POST there are some that are stainless steel and some longer for the windscreen and a few others. Its frustrating but keep a keen eye on the and sort them separetely..they are all used somewhere

• 3 weeks later...
So I have read the instructions and it says there are 3 rivet sizes, but in the box there are significantly more! the picture shows what I got in the kit, can anyone hazard a guess at what a,b,c,d,e are? c and d, I think are the A5's but they are very slightly different. For the fin assembly I need the A5 and flat head rivets for the rudder hinge brackets. Answers on a postcard...[ATTACH]48061[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]48062[/ATTACH]

A4 and A5 most common especially A4. Other bags might have flat heads for various applications. There will be a bag of large shiny A5 STEEL rivets used on forward lower cabin. If memory serves me correctly this is the only place those are used.