ATSB delays in investigations

Mick

No, I'm not confusing anything with anything. I'm merely suggesting that the time taken by the ATSB to issue a report, may also be metered by a perception that what they produce should not leave them open in the slightest to criticism. Whether that be in the legal sense or the media circus. I'm not criticizing the ATSB at all, as their investigations should be as thorough as they can possibly be.

No, I'm not confusing anything with anything. I'm merely suggesting that the time taken by the ATSB to issue a report, may also be metered by a perception that what they produce should not leave them open in the slightest to criticism. Whether that be in the legal sense or the media circus. I'm not criticizing the ATSB at all, as their investigations should be as thorough as they can possibly be.

You've just said the same as you said before

ATSB don't have to worry about this alleged media circus, and we want reports which are complete, without and lingering doubts, so what's the problem?

• 2 weeks later...
I question why Bureaucracy and the Legal Systems both require so much time.I wonder if they are not just feathering their own nests and ensuring they have an income for the next x number of years.

Yes people have to be interviewed leads need to be chased and systems need to be checked and verified but it seems to me the the sluggishness of official channels is a self fulfilling prophecy.

It seems that the time taken to do a job can be extended long enough with a little bit of effort to put several kids through University.

I once tried to book a truck in to get a machinery, (annual inspection) current inspection expired 23 Dec. I rang on the 1st of November only to be told that no inspections were available until late January.

When I asked for an extension I was promptly told that I should not have left it to the last minute to book.

The public sector have long since forgotten that they are Public Servants not Public Hindrances.

If someone rang me to do a job and I told them to come back in 3 months I would get laughed into bankruptcy.

Geoff: Look no further than the people we elect to government for most of the bureaucratic delays. The imperative with the political class now is "small government" (except where the pollies' entitlements or tax handouts for their Big Business backers are concerned. So departments are cut, and cut and cut again. From my experience working for TAFE in QLD, what budget cuts mean is cuts to service delivery staff, while admin numbers balloon to generate budget justifying paperwork. While I was at TAFE, I saw this pattern repeat on more occasions than I can remember. Every time, the teaching staff numbers were cut and the administrative staff numbers increased ... every time.

Since it is admin staff who decide who goes and who stays, it's a no brainer who gets the chop. And it isn't just in the PS that this happens. I remember a time when Telstra came out and baldly said they were going to cut thousands of jobs and that magically "services would improve" and the jobs they cut were frontline staff.

How does the mh370 saga fit into all this ?

Went down march 2014...... Was this about the time these investigations started getting delayed and drawn out.

Did Abbott blow several years worth of budgets seeking glory?