Centrifugal Clutch: 582 + C Gearbox

boleropilot

G'day fellow Drifter Drivers,

0455 is still in hospital but I'm hoping to be airborne again soon - can't wait to see if I can actually land/takeoff at Woolooman International Airport - I'll be practicing STOL flying a fair bit before I try....and I'll be light...and I'll be doing a lot of missed approaches and touch and go's....let's hope the video goes viral on YouTube for all the right reasons...

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the RK400 centrifugal clutch - from what I've read it makes the idle of the 582 as smooth as, but cost may be the limiting factor - It's nice to have such sweet little toys but maybe I could spend the money better elsewhere - like on disc brakes, for instance...they'd come in handy at YWOO...

Wotcha reckon?

BP

PS

RK 400 clutch, Rotax clutch, clutch for Rotax C drive, centrifugal clutch for Rotax C drives.

there's a video on YouTube showing how it sounds too...

• Informative 1

I was also considering this but still trying to weigh up the pros vs cons. Some i came up with Pros: smoother idle better for engine and gearbox, safer start up as prop not spinning. Cons: possible overheating issues if idling for too long due to lack of airflow, cant hand swing prop to start, cant pull through to test compression etc, and i imagine you would have to attach something to the prop when not in use to stop it windmilling. All of these just assumptions but if anyone with any experience with them would like to chime in please feel free.

• Agree 1

• 8 months later...

This way too late but the clutch was designed & built by a good friend of mine named Bever Borne of Reserve, Louisiana USA. I had two of his clutches. One on a 503 Trike which is still going strong at 23 years old. The other on a spare 503 I have about ten years old. No problems!

The "system" is used on Kids motorbikes. Where it does get worked a bit harder. It would make electric and pull starting a bit easier. Your prop will windmill after engine failure. Might make taxiing a bit "different" depending on when it takes up. Nev