AvMap Ultra EFIS

• 5 months later...
Around the local area the EKP works as advertised. On long trips is where things start to go wnorg. After 1-1/2 - 2 hrs, the update of the heading line starts to slow down. It gets to where it updates about every 2-3 minutes! In two minutes I can do a standard rate 360 and the poor old GPS is none the wiser.[ATTACH=full]52034[/ATTACH]

At this point the heading appears frozen and shows why you shouldn't rely on GPS for navigation cross country. I never had problems like this with my previous GPS.

I've had other problems with this GPS also, where it allows settings that either conflict with other parameters and settings or that shouldn't cause problems. One of those is the WAAS/EGNOS setting. If you set this to ON in Australia, it causes the GPS to lose lock on the satellites all the time as it searches the signal for the correction info, that is not available here.

WAAS/EGNOS relies on ground stations transmitting correction data to the GPS satellites, which then send a corrected signal to your GPS. We don't have them in Oz (to the best of my knowledge) and so the GPS should ignore or not allow that setting here ... but it doesn't.

Another minor annoyance is that in parts of Europe (where these GPS are made) airport codes start with "L". So when you do a search for an airport, to set up a flight plan, the default starting letter is "L" so you have to scroll the thumbwheel around to "Y" which our airfields start with every time! I haven't found a way to change this default behavior yet.

It's just stuff like that, that bug me with this thing. When I'm concentrating on flying the plane, little irritations like these get magnified and they add up.

• Like 1

Hi Scott,

I am using the EKP V for 3 years and in fact I have the same problem as you with the frozen plane heading. I always thought that it is due to my Autopilot Dynon AP74 connected to the EKP V.

Did you get any answer from Avmap?

Thanks

• Like 1

Hi Scott,I am using the EKP V for 3 years and in fact I have the same problem as you with the frozen plane heading. I always thought that it is due to my Autopilot Dynon AP74 connected to the EKP V.

Did you get any answer from Avmap?

Thanks

Yes, they reply very well, but the things they aske me to do are not practical while flying, such as

While flying, if the heading freezes, to disconnect the GPS from the panel dock and plug in the external antenna through the cigarette lighter power adapter. They have also asked me to do other things to try to troubleshoot the GPS which are not practical while flying.

• Like 1

It sounds like the computer side is running out of flash memory?

The GPS function is contained in the patch antenna and is a standard off-the-shelf unit. The display unit runs on a version of Windows CE (I think) so anything could be happening in its little brain.

Mark:

The heading freeze only seems to happen on long flights. I think the earliest I've noticed it was around the two hour distance and then, not always so. I've had lots of flights with no problems, and just enough with problems to make the unit untrustworthy. When it starts freezing, I usually turn it off for a few minutes and then back on, but that destroys the continuity of the track recordings which I sometimes use in my videos.

• Like 1

Thanks Scott for your quick answer.

In fact I got nearly the same answer from AvMap, a bit simpler. They advise me to remove the EKPV from the docking for 1 or 2 seconds and put it back.

Not a real solution. I will try this weekend I let you know.

• Agree 1