Hello from Switzerland

Hello everybody

I am learning to fly, a dream from my youth which finally comes true. Whilst browsing the aviation side of the net I stumbled over this sit. I liked the discussions, so I subscribed and now I am here!

Greetings

Sam

• Like 1

Hi Sam and welcome. I am a late arrival too.

Yes, there is a huge amount of information on this site.

One good way to find things is to use the 'Search Forums' at the top of the page.

Blues skies.........

Hi IBob

you already started to unveil to me the amount of information!

You're from Waiarapa near Christchurch? I passed there about 30 years ago, when traveling. I liked NZ very much.

Blue skies as well

Hello Sam

which type of licence are you going for? Will you eventually own your own plane? You have chosen one of the best sites around what ever your interest. Welcome

Richard

Hello Richard

as the situation in Switzerland is not so clear (building means always experimental here, no UL self built) as in France and flying is expensive, I go for a PPL so I can rent a plane not to far away from home. I would like to build a plane, but so far the family is supporting the idea of flying, but not of building. So one after the other, maybe that changes with time.

But I saw, that the French dealer of Savanna's makes a good price for the kit.

You are living very close to Switzerland aren't you?

Sam

HI Sam,

yes I understood that the ULM class in Switzerland isn't so clear and not so welcome perhaps. PPL is definitely the way to go if you can. How far have you got with your training?

The French dealer is excellent very helpful and obviously dedicated the plane. I bought mine from him and collected directly from the factory who are also very friendly and passionate about all things that fly. We live on the wrong side of the border next to Geneva.

Richard

Hello Richard

I am doing circuits, still learning to land. The first solo is still to come, so a little short of half the way. Well, building a plane your side is the right side of the border 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif.

Sam

I am hoping to get my licence this year and still havent gone solo after 25+ hours not going to worry about it though as the rest is going ok. Just need to pass the theory and get plenty of practice in.

HI Sam

I am a slow learner and am in no real rush. the plane will take at least 18 months to complete. I intend to build as many hours as possible before I make the first flight.

I got into this craziness when I realised that:

1. I wasn't too old to learn to fly

2. you can build your own plane for not too much money.

My first thought was a French designed would and composite called the Gaz'aille which I will build one day. The problem was that it is a three year project and is more suited to a more experienced pilot.

I then looked at Rans Cayotes but they are not easy to find here.

Ninja - lovely plane but it isn't an all metal plane and I really took a shine to the idea of an aluminium skinned plane.

After looking into importing the Zenair I found ICP. We visited the factory last year and was totally sold on the plane and the company. It is only a 3 hour drive from here too so if I really need help or parts I can go there in a day.

That is interesting, pretty much the same way I am going (well, you got much further, already building a plane).

I first thought the faster the better, and looked into the Vans. But realistically I must admit that much more than a rotax motor will be to expensive to fly for me, and that I always will be a low time pilot, so an easy flying aircraft is a must. And I guess a high wing will longer fit to my mission, as a late arrival.

So I looked into ICP Savannah, Rans Coyote or Raven, Aeroprakts A22 and the bush cat. Each one has its advantage. But the savannah has this active French dealer, the company near and a very reasonable price.

Did you fly the plane at the factory?

• 3 weeks later...