Google search yeilded an unexpected surprise

I was doing a Google search and saw that someone had taken a snap of me coming in for a landing at the Clifton Fly-In in March this year.1858374898_Clifton2017.jpg.8259b6c59c04b468aa4dfb47973f1602.jpg

If I remember correctly, this landing developed into a go-around as I bounced it, the dip in the middle of the runway surprised me a bit, and as I had only recently purchased the aircraft, I was still getting used to it, so I applied the power and tried again. The next one was a greaser.

Thanks to the photographer, Simon Coates, maybe? Your skill in photographic art is evident. It is a very nice shot.

Tony

• Like 7

Can you see from the photo what was going wrong? A bit hard to see exactly how high you were but your 3 wheels all look to be at the same height. get that nose up a bit more would be my advice.

Can you see from the photo what was going wrong? A bit hard to see exactly how high you were but your 3 wheels all look to be at the same height. get that nose up a bit more would be my advice.

Yep, I saw that too. There is a significant dip in the middle of the field, which put me off a bit. If I'm level, I'd say I'm at the right attitude, with power on idle here, I would've kept raising the nose till touchdown. See the thresh hold markers? The picture was taken nearly level with the start of RWY 24. My aiming point is a little down the runway. I'd say I just started to round out. I actually touched down first on the down hill part and bounced into the part of the runway after the dip, which bounced me in the air even more. It was then I applied full power and went around.Unless of course, this is a picture of my next landing, I was very happy with that one.012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

I saw a couple of spotters at Cessnock one morning. Googled my rego a few days later and sure enough there is the photo they took... at least I wasn't picking my nose!

• Like 2

At least you did a good go around. i was reading only yesterday that go arounds are the least practiced manouver and also the most badly executed one. I must admit that I don't often practice them and had a fun time when flight testing my RV4 and I couldn't retract the manual flap. I know I can fly at 60kts with full flap and very nose low in comparison to normal climb attitude and safely climb away. Flap control can get very heavy if the speed creeps up.

• Like 1