YLF-2

Does anyone have experience of this motor glider? Or know of any being built in Oz?

It looks like a fun plane, and there are very few wood & fabric motor glider plans available.

I'm getting the urge to build again, & the ULF is on my shortlist. Though I'd probably substitute an MZ201 for the converted Citroen Visa called up in the plans.

Bruce

• Like 1

And where are you going to find the Visa engine Bruce. Probably as rare as hens teeth here in Australia. I've often thought of using the GA boxer engine but even they are getting rare nowadays.

I think Bruce is saying he would use the MZ201 engine instead of the Visa engine shown on the plans. Sounds like you are an MZ engine convert now Bruce.

Wayne

Oh yes! My 60hp MZ202 has performed impeccably straight out of the box. It is smooth running, even on tickover at 1500 rpm with its integral centrifugal clutch. It gives myMiniMax ample power, with climb rate around 1000fpm & max cruise of 85mph. In the circuit, it burns 8 lph, & about 12 lph on longer flights. And Leon Massa, who builds the engine, is very helpful over the phone.

In my view a better engine than the Rotax 582. It is a genuine 60hp @ 6000rpm from 625cc; it is fan cooled, so no radiator cooling drag; it is 40kg installed.

So yes, it would be fair to say I'm an MZ convert!

Do you fly behind this engine Wayne?

Bruce

• Like 1

Does anyone have experience of this motor glider? Or know of any being built in Oz?It looks like a fun plane, and there are very few wood & fabric motor glider plans available.

I'm getting the urge to build again, & the ULF is on my shortlist. Though I'd probably substitute an MZ201 for the converted Citroen Visa called up in the plans.

Bruce

Shouldn't Thread Title read ULF-2?

Shouldn't Thread Title read ULF-2?

Yes, you're quite right ave8rr. See my post "ULF-2". Mods, can you please change the title of this thread to ULF-2? I can't :(

Ave8rr, do you have any knowledge of the ULF-2? Looks very nice in specs, vids, pix, etc.

Yes, you're quite right ave8rr. See my post "ULF-2". Mods, can you please change the title of this thread to ULF-2? I can't :(Ave8rr, do you have any knowledge of the ULF-2? Looks very nice in specs, vids, pix, etc.

Hi Bruce, No knowledge of the ULF-2. Looks like a great project though using materials (wood) that can be sourced here in Aus.

Cheers Mike