Whats up with the SAAA?

KRviator

I notice that ATA (Daz) posted on Sunday to give him a call. Hopefully you are all sorted now.

Not quite sorted, but I did get a hold of Darren yesterday and Dave Tennant at Warnervale today, so hopefully things can progress from there, depending on if/when Dave can get me in. Hopefully being flexible with timings will allow him to slot me in at short notice if an opportunity comes up.It still doesn't sort out the mess at the SAAA overall though. In trying to track down an updated MPC list, I find that the gentleman listed as the NSW training co-coordinator on the SAAA website has thrown in the towel and left the association, but they haven't updated that webpage either...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So a bit of a followup to the SAAA saga: I gave up & went back to RAAus. 048_surrender.gif.737a6283dfb1349140cc8b959302f540.gif

The AP required me to have the RV re-weighed by a CASA WCO, which is fair enough and his prerogative. But despite another email to SAAA HQ when I paid the $400 for the AP service call asking about the MPC datelist, and it being ignored (well, they quite happily charged my CC $400 for the AP call - so they did receive it...) I finally figured enough is enough and why should I reward an organisation who treats their members this way? The only downside is I am still payload-limited, but until the SAAA gets their house in order, publishes and sticks to a list of MPC dates, I will happily fly under RAAus administration with one of the fastest "ultralights" in Australia. 023_drool.gif.742e7c8f1a60ca8d1ec089530a9d81db.gif

Jared S at RAAus could not have been more helpful - and if I ever come across him, I'll gladly shout him a beer. From the time I sent the paperwork in to RAAus HQ to getting my registration certificate? 5 days. The biggest delay? The weekend in the middle of that 5 days. Of course, it helps that the only thing HQ needed was proof I'd removed the VH- marks and SAAA placards and replaced them with RAAus equivalents, but the difference between RAAus & SAAA is mind-blowingly disappointing, to the point that if RAAus is ever able to get approval for 700/750Kg, I'd stay with them indefinitely and wear the 100kg payload loss permanently. There were a couple of SAAA members who were particularly helpful in the process, Darren B and 440032, who certainly deserve recognition for their efforts, and I extend my gratitude publicly for their efforts, but the single overarching issue is the requirement for an MPC to weigh your own plane and issue your own MR, which I don't have, and don't look like being able to get anytime soon due due to a singular lack of planning and communication on the part of the SAAA.

So, looking at the bright side, my RV is back with RAAus, and pending good weather, I should be airborne again by the end of the week.001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

EDIT: Corrected BBCode Syntax

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

So a bit of a followup to the SAAA saga: I gave up & went back to RAAus. 048_surrender.gif.737a6283dfb1349140cc8b959302f540.gif

The AP required me to have the RV re-weighed by a CASA WCO, which is fair enough and his prerogative. But despite another email to SAAA HQ when I paid the $400 for the AP service call asking about the MPC datelist, and it being ignored (well, they quite happily charged my CC $400 for the AP call - so they did receive it...) I finally figured enough is enough and why should I reward an organisation who treats their members this way? The only downside is I am still payload-limited, but until the SAAA gets their house in order, publishes and sticks to a list of MPC dates, I will happily fly under RAAus administration with one of the fastest "ultralights" in Australia. 023_drool.gif.742e7c8f1a60ca8d1ec089530a9d81db.gif

Jared S at RAAus could not have been more helpful - and if I ever come across him, I'll gladly shout him a beer. From the time I sent the paperwork in to RAAus HQ to getting my registration certificate? 5 days. The biggest delay? The weekend in the middle of that 5 days. Of course, it helps that the only thing HQ needed was proof I'd removed the VH- marks and SAAA placards and replaced them with RAAus equivalents, but the difference between RAAus & SAAA is mind-blowingly disappointing, to the point that if RAAus is ever able to get approval for 700/750Kg, I'd stay with them indefinitely and wear the 100kg payload loss permanently. There were a couple of SAAA members who were particularly helpful in the process, Darren B and 440032, who certainly deserve recognition for their efforts, and I extend my gratitude publicly for[/] their efforts, but the single overarching issue is the requirement for an MPC to weigh your own plane and issue your own MR, which I don't have, and don't look like being able to get anytime soon due due to a singular lack of planning and communication on the part of the SAAA.

So, looking at the bright side, my RV is back with RAAus, and pending good weather, I should be airborne again by the end of the week.001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

I totally concur with your evaluation of the Asst Tech Mgr's willingness to stick with and sort out a problem. I (who seems to be in constant conflict with Canberra) have had nothing but exemplary service and assistance from Jared thru a couple of contentious issues. Credit given where credit is due. Riley

• Like 2
  • Agree 2