Tips on YIVE Inverloch airfield?

Hi All,

Am doing a XC endorsement test flight in a few days which includes a prec search and T&G at Inverloch (YIVE). As it's not in ERSA or the country airstrip guide, a wondering if any one has any tips on this airfield - I was planning to use 126.7 for R/T as I believe it is the unicom in the area but happy to be told otherwise. Also have no idea if PP is available. ANy advice greatly appreciated.

Google only lists it as a waypoint, but Google Earth shows what looks like an airfield under construction. (See below, looking south). Street View at that location shows cow pasture. Imagery dated 2017.

904231204_InverlochYIVE.JPG.bd772eac518df1517fd33c2337128f54.JPG

Haven't been in there for a while, but my contact was Blair Hodges 0418 358 275.

The strip is 1100m, with a pronounced hump in the middle, orientation 08/26, elevation 100ft. Hangar at eastern end with windsock.

Fairly easy to find, about 1nm north of town.

Note that there are two other strips in the vicinity - one is about 6.5nm ENE (not sure of its condition) and the other 2nm W just off Pearsalls Road (have been in there, but can't find contact details, don't confuse it with YIVE).

Google only lists it as a waypoint, but Google Earth shows what looks like an airfield under construction. (See below, looking south). Street View at that location shows cow pasture. Imagery dated 2017.

That doesn't look like it? My GE shows 2015.

EDIT: Found yours now, looks like a new airfield being set up for joyflights, see here.

• Like 1

And yep, it's on the Melbourne VNC, so Multicom's the go!

Legally, unless it is within 10nmiles of a ctaf, it would actually be area frequency.

Legally, unless it is within 10nmiles of a ctaf, it would actually be area frequency.

Check your AIP ENR 1.1-51 - "Beginning a flight at, approaching or flying in the vicinity of an aerodrome depicted on aeronautical charts without an assigned CTAF - MULTICOM 126.7".

YIVE is depicted on aeronautical charts, so it's 126.7 (at the moment, anyway, may change again in the future). Area is used if the aerodrome is not depicted on aeronautical charts.

• Agree 2
  • Winner 1

Thanks heaps everyone - fantastic info, special thanks Graeme K, everything I needed! Sorry not to reply immediately but was engrossed in usual pre-test stuff - questionnaire, VFRG, ERSA CASRs, handling notes/charts/lplanning for curly questions etc. Turns out oddly YIVE is in the CAG but not in my 19th version but I did get a copy of the page eventually.

So I flew there yesterday and it was exactly as you said Graeme; did prec search and a short field into RWY80; and yes power lines right across short final, with the mast smart smack in the middle. Somehow I hit the target point. And yes got PP from Blair Hodges who texted me from somewhere in France. And yes again I spotted the two other small strips (looked like fun to try sometime). Kaz3g, thanks and I'd recommend a visit but watch out for the pwr lines and it was also a bit wet.

And for the record, somehow I finally passed (!!) Yessssss! Thanks again guys

• Like 1

JabFlyer, good to hear it went well, the runway is in reasonable nick.

Have you been in to Drouin South? It's another favourite of the Lilydale instructors, and kept in great condition.

• 2 weeks later...
JabFlyer, good to hear it went well, the runway is in reasonable nick.Have you been in to Drouin South? It's another favourite of the Lilydale instructors, and kept in great condition.

GraemeK, yep Gary got me to go into Drouin Sth a couple of times during XC training and I loved it - it was fun trying to find it (not too hard) and fun when I got there. Did some prec search practice and I remember a huge tree pretty close to the rwy. Bunyip was also interesting.

You wouldn't by any chance know if you can park for a while at YIVE? Would like to fly down for a day sometime and and go into town for lunch...