More Dambusters - Crewman's perspective

Reposted this as it may have got buried in the 'Anniversay' thread.

617 Squadron 'Dambusters' crew member flying logbook sold for £9,000.00

Fascinating insight into his operational flying.

Dambusters bomb aimer's wartime logbook sells for £9,000 | Daily Mail Online

• Like 3

Thanks for the link, Phil - just an amazing document, and I'm more surprised it didn't bring even bigger money.

I was amused to see the bomb nets erected over the Mohne Dam after being repaired.

Just goes to show, that even after the event the Germans still had no idea of how the bouncing bomb operated, and how far it travelled along the water, before sinking at the wall.

Not too many people would really understand the massive risks these blokes also took in the bomb testing phase - not only ultra-low-level flight, but a very real danger of the bouncing dummy bomb rebounding and striking the aircraft.

Thanks for the link, Phil - just an amazing document, and I'm more surprised it didn't bring even bigger money.I was amused to see the bomb nets erected over the Mohne Dam after being repaired.

Just goes to show, that even after the event the Germans still had no idea of how the bouncing bomb operated, and how far it travelled along the water, before sinking at the wall.

Not too many people would really understand the massive risks these blokes also took in the bomb testing phase - not only ultra-low-level flight, but a very real danger of the bouncing dummy bomb rebounding and striking the aircraft.

I saw a B+W Docco on this subject a long time ago, following the development of the bomb using various long water tanks and catapults. One of the most difficult problems to overcome ( as you mention ) was the actual Release Height above the water, finally set at Sixty feet, if I remember corretly, using converging spotlights pointed down at the water. . . and Particularly the actual speed of rearwards spin to produce the required 'Bounce' at the optimum distance from the dam wall for the bomb to travel to preclude it skipping over the dam parapet. ( As some of the weapons actually did )

Some brilliant tests and calculations by Barnes Wallis and his team. . .

I see what the article means by the 'Understated, matter of fact' manner in which this crewman worte his comments.

• Agree 1

Some good videos on YooToob, showing filming of the bouncing bomb testing.

However, one video includes footage of an American ultra-low-level bomb test where the bomb bounces up and tears the tail off the aircraft - nothing to do with the British bouncing bombs of Barnes Wallis.

Thanks for the link, Phil - just an amazing document, and I'm more surprised it didn't bring even bigger money.I was amused to see the bomb nets erected over the Mohne Dam after being repaired.

Yes. At least one aircraft and all crew lost in testing I think after being hit by their own bomb. Great ingenuity and courage but not sure the price paid was worth the result. Bomber command didn't try it again did they.

Douglas A-26C-25-DT Invader, 43-22644, assigned to the 611 Base Unit at Wright Field, Ohio, crashes into the Choctawhatchee Bay, 3 Miles NE of Fort Walton, Florida after being struck by a test Speedee (Highball) bouncing bomb which tears off tail unit, bomber instantly nosing over into the water. It had taken off from Eglin Field, Florida, on a low level bombing exercise at AAF water range Number 60, immediately S of Lake Lorraine. All 3 occupants killed.

This is the clip that is included in the Barnes Wallis bouncing bombs video montage - and it shouldn't be, because the Americans were trying out their own low-level bouncing bomb testing, with no reference to, or input from, the British.

Yes. At least one aircraft and all crew lost in testing I think after being hit by their own bomb. Great ingenuity and courage but not sure the price paid was worth the result. Bomber command didn't try it again did they.

No they didn't,. . I am sure I read somewhere way back that Winston Churchill was a little dubious about the whole thing after witnessing a few drop test failures. . .

Evidently though, he allowed the programme to proceed.

Perhaps that unique target, given the possibilty of much secondary damage to enemy industry as a result, did not present itself as being viable again. . .I've no doubt that there are some writings about this in the archives which should now be de-classified. . .