An afternoon in a Cessna 172R

Guest Fred Bear

Guest Fred Bear

Hello all. Would have posted last night but was way too tired and wanted to spend some time away from the puter. Yesterday I had the privilege of being taken for a fly with fellow forum member IanR in a Cessna 172R out of Camden. Original plan was to pick me up from The Oaks. Ian was on final when some drips and drops started from above. Made the smart decision to turn back and head home to a dry hanger at Camden. Good thing he did as a few mins later there was a massive storm and downpour. Trouble after that was that our little strip at The Oaks was then soaked. Could not even walk on it let alone land a 172 :ah_oh: Ian was on his way back by that stage so had to let him know via radio that the strip was too wet to land on (felt like a UNICOM operator at this point) 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif Informed Ian that we would drive down to Camden and meet him there. Would be easier and safer. Made it to Camden where VH-AHH and Ian were both waiting. Always good to meet other forum members for the first time too :) Was extremely hot and humid after the storm had passed through. Reminded me of when I lived in Brisbane. I was most impressed by VH-AHH though ;) Realised by sitting inside just how much I missed the GA scene. She's got lovely comfortable seats, car-like seatbelts, windows that open and a mile of leg room. Virtually a brand-new machine. With the seat all the way back I could not have reached the pedals if I wanted to. Realised just how little space we have in our little Jabirus 088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif Waved goodbye to Emma and the kids who were at the observation area while taxiing for RWY 22 (correct me if wrong please Ian). Exchanged some words with the controller (which was good to hear again after so many years), lined up, full throttle and up we went. I was amazed at how high we were so quick. Real horses here folks! Loved the lightning out the starboard wing on climbout too! Original plan was to track towards Bankstown for a touch and go but Ian decided it was not such a good idea with the storm located pretty much right over Bankstown. Heard rescue chopper also unable to land there and diverting to Wollongong due weather. Here's a view out the right wing climbing out:

A view of fellow forum member IanR's arm!

One out the rear-end.

Excellent to see some healthy water levels in Sydneys Warragamba Dam even though there was some brown 'sludge' present in some spots. May explain some of the stomach aches I have been having of late :yuk:

Then tracking for a very familiar field! Look at all the water down there.

Great to see it so green again around The Oaks local area.

We have a look at Ians house below.

Then we track on to Mittagong.

With inversion layers and eagles below this made for a nice afternoon roller coaster ride! Excellent thing Emma was not onboard. Ian and I being the sick people we are, had a ball :big_grin:

Mine below with heliport. Maybe someone can identify?

A nice, ahh, gentle turn to the right 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Camden airport below.

On finals.

The office of VH-AHH.

And meet VH-AHH.

Many many thanks to Ian for taking the time out yesterday afternoon to take me for a fly. Infact, many thanks to all that have taken me for a fly during the time with this busted up hand etc. You know which door to come knocking on when you guys are unable to fly for whatever reason ;) Again, had a great afternoon Ian. You are in trouble now because Emma wants a go 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif Hope you enjoyed the trip report.

It was fun - and good to meet you too !! Photos look good. Sounds from the news this morning that we headed in the right direction - cricket ball sized hail would not be nice in a Cessna !!

Emma is welcome to come up sometime although sounds as though she is like my wife - doesn't like the bumps !

Runway we were on at Camden was 06 (it has 06/24 and grass 10/28)

Guest David C

Thanks Darren for posting such a fantastic trip report . The mine with the helipad is Tahmoor Colliery . Never knew I had a helipad so close to my place !! .. Yes the weather was definitely ordinary , although I think we escaped the worst of it at our place . One firey was heard to describe the hail as " orange " sized . The usual standard is "golfball " sized these days , not a good idea to get anywhere near the stuff , even in a car , I know , I've just got mine back from the repairer after the last episode 088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif.. Certainly a nice Cessna , would make a good instrument platform , what with two VOR receivers and an ADF , my type of aerolane that one ;) . Remember that C182 we had a look at some months ago at Hoxton with the glass cockpit ?? .. Once gain many thanks ..

Dave C

• 2 months later...

Nice shot of the airport. i thought that it would have grown a bit more than what it has. worked there for a number of year during the 80's. early 90's. i remember some of the chaos created by the Scouts during the school holidays. Camden has a lot of history and some good exploring can be had if you know were to look. bunkers ect.

ozzie