Outback Air Race 2018

NT5224

I note that the route for the 2018 Outback Air race has been announced. This event held every three years in support of the Royal Flying Doctors and is more a test of navigation and airmanship than of aircraft speed. The wife and I have always wanted to take part.

I note this year the race is being opened to RAA certified flyers. Anybody else interested in this?

Cheers

Alan

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Informative 4

I note that the route for the 2018 Outback Air race has been announced. This event held every three years in support of the Royal Flying Doctors and is more a test of navigation and airmanship than of aircraft speed. The wife and I have always wanted to take part.I note this year the race is being opened to RAA certified flyers. Anybody else interested in this?

Cheers

Alan

I am just asking them if they would accept a UK Entrant? If they will I will be an entrant.

• Like 1

I'm looking to enter in the Thorp when entries open. Been watching it for the last few events so be great to enter it.

This was the reply I received when I asked if they accept Overseas Entrants 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your query in relation to entering the 2018 Outback Air Race. It is certainly open to overseas entrants. A requirement for each entrant (team) is to raise a minimum of $2,000 AUS, although teams historical raise a significant amount more. All funds raised go towards the Royal Flying Doctor Service in Australia, so the challenge for you could be to secure contributors towards your team funds for an Australian charity - or maybe not.

Should you be interested to consider further, we are very keen to hear about you ideas for some sponsorship towards the raise.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sponsorship Coordinator

Leanne McKenzie

Sponsorship Coordinator

Outback Air Race 2018

www.outbackairrace.com.au

?ui=2&ik=e1cb8b9385&view=fimg&th=15f232e0c124a556&attid=0.1.1&disp=emb&attbid=ANGjdJ9xdjDbl0AMT_o_KINmlYuLQ1CqoAG25oZ8vDzUCBB8yIf9quj-zljVZj_GYuTxWQbUyaRw_LbsHTti86V7u874hG7lGLE0RKs1W5OS_KOxMGpOh_1SeiqbtQA&sz=s0-l75-ft&ats=1508160964118&rm=15f232e0c124a556&zw&atsh=1

• Like 1

The information I have now received is that registrations are open from 30th October. We are definitely intending to register! Would be nice to be in touch with other competitors beforehand. “Know your enemy!”

The information I have now received is that registrations are open from 30th October. We are definitely intending to register! Would be nice to be in touch with other competitors beforehand. “Know your enemy!”

NT5224, I am slightly scared that " The route passes through your neck of the woods perhaps that will give you a bit of a home advantage? " I am not sure why I am scared of that though !!!!

I suppose I will be more scared when I know what aeroplanes I would be up against as opposed to who I am up against :yikes:I am a very shy retiring type of person who has never been controversial in my life so I would ask everyone to look after me whilst visiting your Airspace.

I am hoping to source an aeroplane from NZ or Australia to use as it will be more cost effective than positioning one from the UK 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Any ideas on what Aviation Sales site to look on? I already peruse http://www.aviationadvertiser.com.au/index.php & Aircraft | Aircraft | Trade Me for Aircraft to buy.

NT5224, I am slightly scared that " The route passes through your neck of the woods perhaps that will give you a bit of a home advantage? " I am not sure why I am scared of that though !!!!I suppose I will be more scared when I know what aeroplanes I would be up against as opposed to who I am up against :yikes:I am a very shy retiring type of person who has never been controversial in my life so I would ask everyone to look after me whilst visiting your Airspace.

I am hoping to source an aeroplane from NZ or Australia to use as it will be more cost effective than positioning one from the UK 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Any ideas on what Aviation Sales site to look on? I already peruse http://www.aviationadvertiser.com.au/index.php & Aircraft | Aircraft | Trade Me for Aircraft to buy.

Hi SGIAN DUBH

You can certainly buy an aircraft in Australia, although a hire for a couple of weeks would also be possible.

Aviation Advertiser is one of the primary sites although there is also this one:

Australian Aircraft for Sale on Aircraft Online. Good luck!!

Alan

@SGIAN DUBH - I am registering interest as well; Though I will be hiring rather than buying an a/c if admitted; can't help thinking buying an a/c may yield problems (hiring can, too) and can't be faffed with offloading it after the race. I'll be starting in Melb though as I know a couple of operators that will hire me an a/c for the period and use the flight up to acquaint myself with Aussie procedures (which have changed markedly since I left Aus in the late 90's).

Also, CASA has some great videos called out-n-back; suggest you take a look at them (if you haven't already); although they include a bit of tourism in their videos. They are on the CASA web site and youtoob.

The other thing to think about is that if you fly a VH registered a/c you will probably have to get a temp certificate of validation or your Aussie licence (not sure as the CASA web site is a little confusing); and there will be a requirement to have at least applied for an ASIC or AVID (I think).

Does anyone know if we ride with a US licence in a N reg whether we need an ASIC/AVID?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My wife and I are signed up. The challenge for us is getting our bird airworthy for the race. I suspect we may be the slowest participating aircraft ( if nobody enters a Drifter!) so am going to have to figure out some tactical advantage over the Cessna and Mooney brigade.

I’ve got some big rubber coming from Alaska, and I doubt they’ll give us any extra knots AS.

But I’ve flown most of the route before.

• 2 months later...

What are my preparations? Nothing particularly useful yet...

But my wife bless her, has finally been motivated to get her ticket before the race. I spend weekends on the ground watching her go round and round in the circuit.... I’m actually very proud of her, I reckon she’ll solo much earlier than I did. Not in our Rebel, but in a smaller eurobubble training aircraft. Sadly I doubt she’ll get her x country or tail dragged rating before the race so she might be stuck in the right seat ( but at least she’ll be a copilot rather than passenger! )

We’ve also ordered some enormous heavy rubber. We were already the slowest entrant in the race before the tundra tyres, and when we fit them we’ll be even slower! But hey, at least we’ll arrive in style!

Alan

• Like 1

Loop? We’ll be flying all the way down to Brissie to start but luckily finishing at Broome which is not too far from home. No way would we want to turn around and fly down south to Queensland again! I’m pleased we’re doing the extra leg pre-race rather than after. Gives us a chance to settle the bird and get a team routine.

But I guess it’s all a matter of perspective.

Alan