Aircraft covers for fabric (Ceconite)

damiens

I was looking to get a cover from someone like "Punkin Heads" but was uncertain if the covers would rub and damage the fabric covering of the aircraft. Our wings and fueslage are fabric, does this type of cover work if storing outside for a week or so at a time?

Thanks

Damien

ps. I only have experience with composite aircraft.

I see on their site that they make a cover for a Karatoo which is fabric covered.

If your airplane is only going to be outside for a short time, then anything that blocks UV light from reaching the fabric is useful. But you can also consider using it when the plane is inside. Planes gotta hangar, birds gotta sh|t. Also a cover will limit the amount of dust, and maybe bugs that could enter pitot holes.

I'm sure that Punkin Heads will give you good advice as to the material to use, and for their estimated prices, I'd say they were a reasonably priced item.

OME

It's not so much whether the cover will rub and damage fabric - the important factor is whether the cover "breathes", and can release trapped moisture.

Moisture gathers under covers via condensation, and via moisture rising from damp ground, as it's heated by the sun. If the moisture is trapped under the covers, it will cause corrosion.

I wouldn't mind a dollar for every item I saw that was covered right over with a plastic tarp "for protection" - and then saw the item owners dismay, when they pulled the tarp off, and found the item rusty, caused by moisture trapped under the tarp.

• Agree 1