Anyone landed on Tangalooma Airstrip?

ajbate

Thinking of flying the kids over to Morton island for a weekend away.

Just wondering if anyone has recently landed on Tangalooma Airstrip and what sort of condition it is in?

I’ll be in a C206

Thanks,

Andrew

Unlicensed

elevation: 12ft

permission: Required

landingfees

$40.00 Single. $60.00 Twin. 50% discount if ring & pay before landing. Helicopter free. Free for overnight guests.

rwys: 18/36 grass on Sand base 900m

procedures:

High ground on E side. Only pilots in fixed undercarriage aircraft will be given landing approval due to easily damaged grass surface.. All circuts over water.

windsock: W side midway illuminated and on Resort jetty.

fuel: No

I know that Tangalooma for 4x4, boaties and jetskis have been a big shun, they actively stopped serving them and require a day pass for anyone not a guest at the resort. They are almost impossible to get for weekends unless you book months in advance.

I know that Tangalooma for 4x4, boaties and jetskis have been a big shun, they actively stopped serving them and require a day pass for anyone not a guest at the resort. They are almost impossible to get for weekends unless you book months in advance.

The last few times I went there on my boat I had no problem getting day passes the week before. Apparently the security will get up you if you try to get of your boat on the beach, but the resort does not own the beach nor do they have exclusive access to it.

That aside, the ridiculous cost of landing there puts me off.

• Agree 1

I used to fly there in a Cherokee 6 and sometimes a C172. Landings are a non event but take offs required early rotation, then accelerate in ground effect before climbing away due to the sand / grass resistance.

Its an easy walk to the beach for a fish or a reasonable walk to the wrecks for a snorkel. Most of the comments above relate to the resort which is south of the wrecks and don't apply around the strip.

• Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had a look at the strip only a few months ago. I got to walk about 150mtrs of the Southern end and there were clumps of grass plants high and solid enough to give concern for damaging under carriage of a 172. Maybe in a STOL with large soft tyres would be ok. It is a long strip of 900 mtrs so what the rest of it looked like I am not sure.

• 3 months later...

As of 10th of February 2018: Tangalooma's airstrip . Landed with a Cessna 206, Landings are subject to wind-shear above the tree-line. I needed about 1700-2000 RPM to get moving, its all untamed grass plants anchored in loose sand with loose sand only patches. As of the above post, needed an early rotation and use of ground effect to effectively take-off, Wind becomes a factor right above the tree-line.

• Informative 1

Can confirm Skymasters707's comments above. I landed there in late October 2017 in a C206.

Just keep the power on when you are taxiing, especially when you turn - it would be easy to get stuck in the sand.

It is a serviceable airstrip, but if you haven't operated on soft airstrips before, you may not be comfortable landing there.