Last on Bucket list? Yeah right.

Adrenal

After sailing the oceans and land speed racing, this is the last biggy to tick off! (Maybe)

In love with STOL, Took a ride in a Savage Cub the other day. How much fun can a bloke endure? - thanks to Terry and Leo if you're on this forum..

Will be starting RA lessons about mid next year as I'm Still chasing a record on the salt (Lake Gairdner speed week is in March next year). Can't afford time and $$ to do 2 major bucket items at once..

In the meantime I'm boning up on as much STOL and general RA stuff as possible and this forum is a fine place to do it.

Cheers to all

Adrian

After sailing the oceans and land speed racing, this is the last biggy to tick off! (Maybe)In love with STOL, Took a ride in a Savage Cub the other day. How much fun can a bloke endure? - thanks to Terry and Leo if you're on this forum..

Will be starting RA lessons about mid next year as I'm Still chasing a record on the salt (Lake Gairdner speed week is in March next year). Can't afford time and $$ to do 2 major bucket items at once..

In the meantime I'm boning up on as much STOL and general RA stuff as possible and this forum is a fine place to do it.

Cheers to all

Adrian

I have a Zenith STOL CH701. The aeroplane is STOL the pilot not so much, but even I get it off the ground with a 3 second ground run (not sure of the actual distance!) and back on again in about 100-150ft.

• Like 1

I'm sure i will be in same category - not as STOL as my aircraft!

So a forgiving machine is the ticket.

Of course I've googled the crap out of Zenith and Savanah. There certainly seems to be lots of them in Aussie, particularly the Savanah.

(Still not entirely sure of the differences??)

As someone who loves classic machinery, I'm drawn towards dragging the tail. Might get you into more marginal terrain but less forgiving.

Do you have experience with both? Love to hear your thoughts..

• More 1

2018 - Dry Lakes Racers Australia

A few of us are interested in flying over to watch but I'm not sure its possible?

Perhaps stay at Woomera (if possible) and fly daily to the lake if we can land close enough or organise transport to/from a strip.

Driving in and being self sufficient is generally the way it's done.

I'm sure i will be in same category - not as STOL as my aircraft!So a forgiving machine is the ticket.

Of course I've googled the crap out of Zenith and Savanah. There certainly seems to be lots of them in Aussie, particularly the Savanah.

(Still not entirely sure of the differences??)

As someone who loves classic machinery, I'm drawn towards dragging the tail. Might get you into more marginal terrain but less forgiving.

Do you have experience with both? Love to hear your thoughts..

I have tailwheel endorsement but haven’t flown one for years because I think you have to be on top of your game to land them and back then I couldn’t afford to fly often enough to feel confident. My 701 has large wheels and I land it as if it is a taildragger, ie nose high a la three pointer. Only difference is nose comes down afterwards. I don’t categorically know, but I doubt if a taildragger would do much better. No doubt someone else on site will offer their opinion also!

• Winner 1

G'day Adrian what record are you chasing on the salt? Im a member of DLRA but haven't been to the lake. It's on my list to get down there one day and maybe do a run.Rob

I'm in MPG1000. The Aust. record is 146mph. You should get down there man. It really is an amazing experience. I'm totally hooked. I've a web page:

Skrunkwerks Custom Motorcycles

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

2018 - Dry Lakes Racers AustraliaA few of us are interested in flying over to watch but I'm not sure its possible?

Perhaps stay at Woomera (if possible) and fly daily to the lake if we can land close enough or organise transport to/from a strip.

Driving in and being self sufficient is generally the way it's done.

You know, I've been dreaming about doing the very same thing once I get my wings.

Landing on the salt would be a blast but whether you'd get permission from the indigenous owners and the DLRA is the question.. The condition of the salt varies from year to year. Sometimes it's too wet and the event is cancelled. But if it's OK to race on, it would be OK to land on... (Spectators are allowed to drive their vehicles on the salt to get to the starting line and the pits).

The DLRA camp (on the lake's edge) is on land owned Mt Ive homestead which has a strip. It's about 34kms from the DLRA camp. You could possibly hitch a ride in each day as some speed week people stay there.

Or for bush planes there might be a suitably clear area close to camp - it's desert after all..

Has anybody explored these options? I can talk to the DLRA about it..

I have tailwheel endorsement but haven’t flown one for years because I think you have to be on top of your game to land them and back then I couldn’t afford to fly often enough to feel confident. My 701 has large wheels and I land it as if it is a taildragger, ie nose high a la three pointer. Only difference is nose comes down afterwards. I don’t categorically know, but I doubt if a taildragger would do much better. No doubt someone else on site will offer their opinion also!

No Doubt! I guess there's only one way to truly answer that question...

Think I'm coming around to the idea tricycle gear STOL.

...Landing on the salt would be a blast ...

I reckon it would be like landing on water- height perception would be difficult, but critical. I believe people have come to grief because they have no idea where how high they are.

• Agree 1

I would prefer to land in a designated landing area, salt or other.

It would not be the best place to take out a wheel or gear leg on a stump or rock.....and perhaps people/kids wandering around could be a problem.

The station strip sounds good, with a lift in.

As it's a nation park or reserve, they are strict on camping. You cannot even take a dump in the bush.

Everything that comes in must go out....

I'm in MPG1000. The Aust. record is 146mph. You should get down there man. It really is an amazing experience. I'm totally hooked. I've a web page:Skrunkwerks Custom Motorcycles

Nice blog Adrian. I think I came across your bike some time ago when I was looking at cafe racers. I'm also a fan of Shinya Kimora's bikes, if you know them?