Fabric / Dacron

Gregory

Ok folks, probably a silly question ? that may have already been discussed?

But here it is anyway -

Would a fabric covering ( the type that needs to be heated ) not be lighter than dacron , also would it not be easier to fit if wing ribs were modified to accomodate it ?

Not really thinking of doing it , just curious .

Cheers

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

WOW, very interesting video. Seems like a lot of work but the end result is very nice. Of course, it now has to be painted unless you're leaving it white.

On a side note. Thanks for applying some decent music, not your usual pop/heavy metal rubbish. As an ex bass player (non classical) I really appreciated it.

yeah m8, Dave is the moniker, Boleropilot is from my old paragliding days - my canopy was a Gin Bolero...

flying in a reclined armchair at 5,000 feet with just a few square metres of cloth over your head - man that is THE way to fly

until those damn mountains rise up to smite thee - ouch big time, but I still miss it....

hey Desky, they don't recommend painting because it adds weight - and it comes in quite a lot of colours...

apparently they also sell stick on graphics in various colours so you can flash it up if ya want...would love to get that stuff on my Drifter !

BP

you should see the video with a guy banging away at some Oratex with a ball pein hammer !!!!!! makes you cringe - then he gets out the heat gun and = crikey !

as long as it doesn't make a hole, heat just takes out the indentations - Wow product.

yeah m8, Dave is the moniker, Boleropilot is from my old paragliding days - my canopy was a Gin Bolero...flying in a reclined armchair at 5,000 feet with just a few square metres of cloth over your head - man that is THE way to fly

until those damn mountains rise up to smite thee - ouch big time, but I still miss it....

Cool, hey Dave could i possibly give you a call, or my number is 0212 854 598 , cheers Greg

yeah m8, Dave is the moniker, Boleropilot is from my old paragliding days - my canopy was a Gin Bolero...flying in a reclined armchair at 5,000 feet with just a few square metres of cloth over your head - man that is THE way to fly

I don't think you can use Oratex on a Drifter. Oratex is designed to be glued and shrunk onto the structure, while drifters and Thruster types have a bag that is a tight fit and then expanded using ribs which can be removed.

Oratex is great for the steel tube framed aircraft or the timber framed such as Corby Starlet.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

How would you go covering a Drifter with that? The Drifter wing is effectively a bag pulled tight. I am curious about its cost and would it effect my Certified aircraft registration? How long does it last?

The drifter wing is not constructed strong enough to withstand the fabrics shrinking process,

Wayne fisher said too much distortion would occur When I asked why only tails and ailerons were seconite and not wing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1