Evans Head - where to stay?

rdarby

I don't speak from much experience but one way I'd consider, myself, is shooting up the inland route as far as Welllington, around the corner to Mudgee and from there tracking to Denman at the head of the Hunter Valley.

Thence eastward to Maitland and northbound up the inland VFR lane behind Williamtown (unless you're qualified to request a clearance overhead YWLM or past it coastal). From there it'd be via Taree and Kempsey and Coffs. Again, at Coffs you'll either need to sneak around the CTA to the west or request a clearance coastal. Then it's on past Grafton and on to Evans (hoping that those pesky military Romeo areas are not NOTAMed active).

Some people don't like the VFR lane (actually its more of a snaking tube with a ceiling that keeps you pretty close to the ground) but I think it's a very pretty flight in good weather. Mind you, I'm glad to have done it a couple of times with instructors beside me.

The Cessnock/Maitland area can be quite busy so it needs a good eye and ear out. Also there's a bit of RPT and international training school traffic in the Taree/Port Macquarie area. But all in all I think it'd be a fantastic flight.

As to the best stopping points I'd also be interested in what our seasoned navigators suggest.

(In part, I guess, that'll bring us back to that thorny ASIC issue!)

anything except camping? I’m feeling lazy.

hi there rdarby, i assume you are going to evans head fly in could i ask what day you are going, do you need some to stay as i might be able to help.

• 2 weeks later...