Affordable Recreational Aircraft

Bridgy89

Good advice. When you start to work over someone else's job you don't know when to stop. The bit's you don't check are the ones that let you down later.

Don't get me wrong on all of this. We SHOULD be doing more building. It's the way to save money as labour is a big cost of everything. It's just that RAAus has never turned out that way to a great extent. I don't think it's encouraged, certainly not by the CASA. A basic couple of models like the EAA Biplane should be derived. I don't mean it has to be a BI plane just something good simple and flys well.. Nev

• Agree 1

the one piece of advice I will give is to try to get an aircraft you can use for your flight training (assuming you don't have a licence) - you will save a bundle IF the instructor is willing to use itI lied - another piece of advice - if you're going to buy a kit, try to find one already started or from someone who bought it and never started - again, you will save a lot (IF it checks out OK)

cheers

BP

You are very right about instructors willing to use it ! Considerations are quality of build, insurance and ease of being able to teach in it !

• Agree 1
  • Caution 1

Hi guys, I just wanted to get a few peoples thoughts on the best first plane to buy, to do hour building in and the cheapest to maintain and run?I am also wondering about the Rotax 912 engine and what the total run time is on it before it needs to be replaced?

Cheers :)

Thruster? One for sale on this site. (I have no affiliation with the plane/owner).

Regarding Skyrangers, it takes a Kiwi Planespotter to say (in the YouTube "About" par.) what others only think!! LOL

Okay! ... so it might be nicer to look out of than to look at but hey, it's still less ugly than a Wilga!!

Though it must be said that its younger sibling The Nynja, turned out way more comely. ;-)

• Like 1

Regarding Skyrangers, it takes a Kiwi Planespotter to say (in the YouTube "About" par.) what others only think!! LOL

Gary:

Absolutely nothing ugly about a Skyranger. Admittedly, the Nynja has the nice sleek fibreglass covering, but the Swift is still a very nice airplane ... And nice to fly too!

Looking forward to seeing some video of your baby ...

• Like 1

Nice of you to say so!!

(Heck, that Planespotter probably can't see past the Dreamliner when it comes to aeronautical beauty ... and, BTW, I hope all the Wilga lovers know I was just kidding! ;-)

Actually the chap who (re)built my Skyranger also built this

329901455_P1004169.MOVadj1_edited-1.jpg.96a87bc2a07e24cd266686d55a274163.jpg

and he seems to love them both! Go figure!

• Like 3