Wanted: Local supplier for .4mm plywood

rtfm

Hi,

So far, this forum has proved invaluable in sourcing tools, wood and services. Thank you.

However, I am now looking for a local supplier of .4mm plywood. I have found supplies of

0.4mm Birch Exterior AB/B 3 ply 1220mmx1220mm plywood from Boatcraft Pacific, but I'm not wild about the price ($124 AUD/sheet) nor about the (AB/B) quality, although my experience of this plywood is (as of now) non-existant - so it might well be fine. At 1200x1200 I would need 36 sheets. That's a lot of money.

I'd prefer 2400 x 1200 sheets, and I'd also prefer both better quality and a more competitive price.

My hope is to build composite wing skins using Ply/3mm Airex/Ply in a female mold. Other possibilities are:

(1) Ply/Airex/Glass

(2) Glass/Airex/Glass

(in this order of preference)

Any advice? Any possible sources?

Regards,

Duncan

I have here .4mm plywood used to build Mosquitos and Vampires by the CAF dates on the ply is 1940 or 50 from memory..its unreal stuff. I bought it for modelling RC aircraft about 20 years ago. it is magnificent stuff. Only have a few sheets but sorry wont sell it.

Wouldnt have a clue where to get it from though

Hi Duncan,

Try using the "marine" ply. The A-A marine has very similar allowances for manufacturing faults and has an A bond glue

the only difference I could find is that the product is not heat treated to kill a bacteria in the wood ( which only exists in

wet cold countries anyway!) Best ask a more expert person than me!

Be careful using "Airex" foam. Ask the supplier if it is a "crosslinked" PVC foam as some of their foams are not crosslinked.

The beauty of this system is that you can pre-bend or shape the foam with heat ( as in boat hulls, etc) but means the wing

will sag on a hot day. Yes, I speak from experience!

The best foam I have found for thin sections is called Rohr foam and it is mail ordered from Singapore.

They use it in speaker cones.

Ray

Hi,So far, this forum has proved invaluable in sourcing tools, wood and services. Thank you.

However, I am now looking for a local supplier of .4mm plywood. I have found supplies of

0.4mm Birch Exterior AB/B 3 ply 1220mmx1220mm plywood from Boatcraft Pacific, but I'm not wild about the price ($124 AUD/sheet) nor about the (AB/B) quality, although my experience of this plywood is (as of now) non-existant - so it might well be fine. At 1200x1200 I would need 36 sheets. That's a lot of money.

I'd prefer 2400 x 1200 sheets, and I'd also prefer both better quality and a more competitive price.

My hope is to build composite wing skins using Ply/3mm Airex/Ply in a female mold. Other possibilities are:

(1) Ply/Airex/Glass

(2) Glass/Airex/Glass

(in this order of preference)

Any advice? Any possible sources?

Regards,

Duncan

I've been looking for aircraft ply lately myself. You won't find Okoume ply that thin so will have to go birch whiçh is relatively heavy and only comes in 1200 x 1200 sheets. And it ain't cheap. Another supplier is Marine Timbers.