recent flight in the US

when I go on holiday I like to go for a flight and see the area from the air. I was in San Fran over xmas and called Advantage Aviation at Palo Alto re flying a 152. They were great, and instructor David Schneider took me up. San Fran itself was shrouded in fog, with only the needle-like tip of the TransAmerica Pyramid showing, so we flew to Half Moon Bay and did a touch and go. I'd never flown a Cessna before, or any aircraft with a yoke, so that was interesting. It's extremely busy airspace, with about 200k movements/year at Palo Alto and it's near San Jose Int'l as well as SFO and a heap of other fields. Plus there are noise abatement procedures that include strict altitude limits. Quite a change from YMBD where I usually fly.

After flying a LSA/55 jab, the 152 seemed easy to land. The cost was reasonable: the 152 was US$99/hr inc. fuel, and David charged $70.

If you're in San Fran I recommend this outfit.

• Like 9
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1
  • More 1

And if you come to San Diego go to First Flight at KSDM and fly the Champ for $70/hour and the instructor for $.40/ Then, if it is a Saturday, head to the east part of the field under the tower and have a $3 lunch at EAA Chapter 14. Ask for Mark

• Like 2
  • Winner 1