Documents I need to get for RPL training?

Hi

I hope to operate a small single engine airplane out of Alice Springs airport. I am trying to get things squared away before starting the actual training, which I hope to do in a month full time. Have not ordered the airplane yet, which will take three months (and the rest) to materialise.

As far as I can tell, I need to get an ARN (Aviation reference number), which I have applied for. When I have the ARN, then I can apply for a recreational aviation medical certificate. When I have the medical certificate, then I can apply for an ASIC (Aviation Security Identification Card). (If an airport is not 'security controlled' then you don't need an ASIC but only an AVID. Alice springs can take jumbos, so I think it will need an AVID. I have emailed to ask).

100 years ago I got airside OH&S clearance for Melbourne (? which one) airport, but I don't think I'll need one of those. Alice springs airport wants insurance and etc. but I will need the airplane before I can insure it...

I had to get an English language form, a transfer form for RAAus to RPL form, a form for the instructor to fill in with whatever endorsements I was adding to my rpl. If you have a cross country endo already it can go across when compency demonstrated ( everything goes past faster at 120knots,you really have to keep on it) but if you don’t you are limited to the 25 nm radius. Along with existing asic, proof of I’d and log book copies certified by a suitable person. Only just completed last month, so a fairly recent experience.

Cheers

Clinton

• More 1

Last time I looked Alice Springs Aero Club was able to do training for RAA and GA so you can probably talk to them about all the bits of paper you need (since you need a GA Instructor type to handle the paperwork and conduct your flight review. I suspect Alice Springs requires an ASIC.

Last time I looked Alice Springs Aero Club was able to do training for RAA and GA so you can probably talk to them about all the bits of paper you need (since you need a GA Instructor type to handle the paperwork and conduct your flight review. I suspect Alice Springs requires an ASIC.

I said that I thought that they would need an AVID, but I should have said ASIC. They have big jets and scheduled passenger flights. I will join the Alice Springs Aero club right now, if they'll have me!

I had to get an English language form, a transfer form for RAAus to RPL form, a form for the instructor to fill in with whatever endorsements I was adding to my rpl. If you have a cross country endo already it can go across when compency demonstrated ( everything goes past faster at 120knots,you really have to keep on it) but if you don’t you are limited to the 25 nm radius. Along with existing asic, proof of I’d and log book copies certified by a suitable person. Only just completed last month, so a fairly recent experience.Cheers

Clinton

Thank you for your reply. I will look into the English language thing. As I have no RAA qualifications, I don't have to worry about them!

• Agree 1

Thank you for your reply. I will look into the English language thing. As I have no RAA qualifications, I don't have to worry about them!

If you intend flying into controlled airspace you will need to prove that you speak and understand English so you can talk to the tower and understand what the tower and others are saying. Some pilots, while speaking excellent English, while schmoozing the opposite sex at the pub, are attrocious English speakers in the air and who compress a conversation into the smallest time space available (often with a mouth full of Sao or hot potato)

If you intend flying into controlled airspace you will need to prove that you speak and understand English so you can talk to the tower and understand what the tower and others are saying. Some pilots, while speaking excellent English, while schmoozing the opposite sex at the pub, are attrocious English speakers in the air and who compress a conversation into the smallest time space available (often with a mouth full of Sao or hot potato)

Hi Col. The QRCode is an excellent idea. Spammers are not going to go around looking for things to scan, and there it is. Also, you realise that email addresses are not case sensitive, but case-sensitive email addresses aid legibility.

I have enquired with soon-to-be flying school to see if they are an agent for CASA to vouch for my English-speaking ability, and also if they are allowed to identify my original documents for securityid.com.au. I will be training with Recreational Aviation at Gympie.

It is nice to see that people schmooze you at the pub. Email literacy might count for even more than I thought. Reading between the lines, relationships blossomed, but then you dumped them when you heard them speak on the radio. You can't have a sterile cockpit if it has half of lunch ground into the floor.