Wing material colour fade

Just curious about fading of colour of fabrics used for covering. I know red in general is prone to fading. Flouro colours tend to fade too. However I have seen a colour described as ‘yellow’ that looks a lot like flouro yellow. Am I to assume that if it looks like flouro yellow then it is flouro yellow? Having said that, this is what it looks like on a computer monitor and colours can look quite different in real life.

If you’ve experience with your ultralight fading (or indeed sailing boat sails) what colours? What time frame?

Just curious about fading of colour of fabrics used for covering. I know red in general is prone to fading. Flouro colours tend to fade too. However I have seen a colour described as ‘yellow’ that looks a lot like flouro yellow. Am I to assume that if it looks like flouro yellow then it is flouro yellow? Having said that, this is what it looks like on a computer monitor and colours can look quite different in real life.If you’ve experience with your ultralight fading (or indeed sailing boat sails) what colours? What time frame?

They all fade, yellow is probably the worst, at least that's what custom car restorers will tell you about colours in general, dacron sails seem to confirm that. Fluoro pink is pretty bad too.

But - if you use Armorall or Protectant 303 copiously and regularly i.e. a whole 750ml bottle on the top surfaces, half a bottle on the undersides, every three months, the colours will not fade noticeably and the fabrics will last at least 15yrs (or much longer), assuming you used quality fabric in the first place.

Without using a UV protectant they last (safely) about 4yrs if hangared, half that if not. That's based on experience with UV conditions in Queensland.

• Informative 1