Savannah sound insulation

steviet4500

I have used ANR headsets and have had no problem with cockpit noise except for one cross country during my training when I realised that I had not pressed the button to turn on the ANR for the first half hour. ANR is not nearly as effective as a passive headset when the electronics are not doing it's thing.

I have tried to reduce the noise in mine. I lined the baggage area which in the Ozzie models is the extended baggage area as a lot of drumming comes from there. It made no difference. I also put some on the floor and it made none either. Most of the noise I am sure is the exhaust just under the front floor. Easiest solution is get a good ANR headset. I use Lightspeed Zulu and they are great. Always take a set of spare batteries though

I changed over to a helmet from my Zulus and it has much better passive noise reduction than the Zulus but not as good in the ANR side.

I think with aircraft noise is always going to be a factor as insulating against it for our size aircraft isn't really viable so a good headset/helmet is a must.

I did fairly extensive testing trying to reduce noise in my Sonex which also has lots of large flat panels. See SonexAus - Cockpit Noise. I can't say I was very successful and intend trying a couple of "hot dog" mufflers on the exhausts. I couldn't fit the original Jabiru muffler because there simply wasn't room inside the cowl.

Peter

The only way to get effective sound insulation is by applying a dense material like lead, which is too heavy for aircraft insulation. Better to get good quality noise canceling headsets.

Probably not strictly true or passive headsets and earmuffs wouldn't work. High frequencies are pretty easy to damp out. Our problem is that most of the sounds in an aircraft are fairly low frequency,which I have to admit are best damped by dense material, or a mixture of lots of different frequencies. I had some success at damping out sound in my Sonex, just not at cruise speed, which is the only part that really matters.