2nd Solo Nav Ex &lessons learnt.

Hi guys, I went on my 2nd Solo Nav Ex yesterday... I learnt lots from my mistakes and have loads of questions.

I am a low time pilot with only around 70hrs and still a student going through my X-Country endorsement. Yesterday I went on my 2nd solo Nav Ex, I found myself getting so worked up with nerves that I am going to do the wrong procedures getting into the aerodromes, and having my head down in the maps trying to make sure I know exactly where I am at all times and not keeping a good look out. Do most students and low time pilots feel this way? Does one get more relaxed about everything, but not to relaxed that you get complacent?

Like driving a car, that it becomes almost second nature?

What I learnt...yesterday there were fairly strong winds and i had just read in the text book a few days early about 'rotor' turbulence on the lee side of mountains. I did have a tailwind going into these mountains so experience massive updraft, and being nervous about what was awaiting me on the lee side I decided to instead descend and go around the range to the aerodrome on the other side (Watts Bridge). Talking to my instructor and a few pilots after I probably over panicked and made a bad decision giving up altitude. So I learnt you shouldn't give up height and should have used that updraft to get even more height going over the range. I was also experiencing a lot of turbulence which had me on edge the whole flight.

Cheers,

Kyle.

Kyle:

I can't speak for others, but the first few times I flew into "other airfields" I was also apprehensive. I had to do a lot of position plotting in my head about where to approach the airfield from to enter the circuit etc and that added a bit to my stress levels.

It does get easier with practice. It never gets as relaxed as driving a car, but as you get more confidence with your navigation the workload eases up and you start to get ahead of the airplane rather than just keeping up.

The other thing that helps is a familiarity with the airplane you're flying. If you try to fly the one plane as much as possible, that will settle the nerves a bit as your muscle memory will help with the control positions etc so there's less to focus on just to fly the plane. BUT, that can be a double edged sword if you are then forced to fly an unfamiliar airplane.

The rotor off Mt Brisbane at Watts Bridge can be a little unsettling if the winds are from the SE at or above 25Kt and you can't afford to be complacent in the approach. That said, I have been flying out of Watts Bridge for some time and have not yet encountered dangerous conditions there. I doubt your instructor would let you fly there if the conditions were dangerous, It is good for you to remember about rotor on the lee side of hills/mountains and be ready to take quick action if things start to look dodgy.

WRT to height over the range, keep an eye on your height in that area too. On the south side of the Woodford valley, the overhead steps vary from 3500 on the east side to 4500 somewhere in the middle so you can't let any updraft carry you up too high. North of the Woodford valley is a different matter and there is more room there.

No, as regards to navigation in the "local" area. When I first started flying, my "local" area was around Caboolture, up to Noosa, and to the west to the Glass House mountains. After a few flights, I could navigate in that area without reference to charts and always know where I was. Now, my "local" area extends to the west to about Chinchilla, North to Rockhampton, and south to Inverell. I can navigate those areas without a chart and pretty well know where I am at any given time. Just as the airplane gets you further faster, it also expands the area that you'll feel comfortable with navigating by landmarks. As you get to know your neighborhood roads by car, you'll get to know your neighborhood landmarks navigating by air.

WRT Turbulence. LOL, I still don't like flying in the bumps and avoid them when I can, by going higher, but they don't make me weak at the knees like they used to. It does get better, especially when you finally realise that the turbulence is not going to rip the wings off or turn the airplane upside down. That is to say, those things could happen, but I seriously doubt you would choose to go up in the kind of conditions that would rip the wings off the plane.

And finally (yeah I know this was a long rant) if you can afford to buy a plane now or in the future, there are a lot of advantages that you can't get renting. For a start, when you're renting, you have to book ahead. Then the weather goes south and that's another flight missed. Also, when the weather is looking good and you want to book a plane ... everyone else does too. In addition, there are a lot of overnight flying events and trying to convince a flying scholl to let you have their airplane for 24-48 hours for 5-6 hours hobbs time is a big ask. AND, those overnight fly ins usually will take you further and give you more nav experience. But most fun of all with your own plane you can join a touring group and go to amazing places, Since we've been in our touring group (Puk Airlines) we've been to Ayers Rock, Lake Eyre, Coober Pedy, Lighning Ridge, Longreach, Carnarvon Gorge, Great Keppel, Broken Hill and a lot of others. And more to come.

Good luck with your flying. Fair skies and tailwinds.

Congratulations. You just stretched your "experience" muscle and now have a new ability to picture your approach to "new" airfields with spacial awareness that can be practiced before you even start the engine.

I am maybe just two weeks ahead of you, and yesterday I had my second solo navigation flight. I knew better how to plan than the first time, I was more often ahead of the plane, so the flight turned out more relaxed. The down side: I realized even more errors I made :-). So I know again better, how and what to plan before the next flight.

Let's improve, and just never stop doing that!

Sam

Congrats to you mate! Well done.

I am relatively new to X-Endo too, so I know how you feel. My instructor did really put me through the ringer when it came to approaching an AD. He was very anal about not dropping in on the circuit. Stay high and get setup before you join. After all, if you are up high above the AD and above circuit height, you have time to reset and consider your options - Spot the windsock etc. During a training exercise I made the mistake of simply following another bird in. My instructor asked why I had chosen runway 16, and I said, "because he called it, so it must be the active". I soon found out that parachute planes like to get down quick and this guy was landing with 10-12kt tail wind. OK for him - not ok for me! :) So now I overfly every strip and spot that sock before I pick a runway.

That said, I make sure I have a good knowledge of the AD I am approaching and play it out in my head before we get there. Of course the weather can swing that around should wind directions etc change. If you can get some time to do some circuits etc at a busy AD, it's really worth it. Dancing around with increased traffic gives you great experience at a familiar site.

In regards to altitude/height. I, wherever possible go up! Gets me away from the swirly air, but also, gives me options should the fan stop! The higher you are, the longer you have should you need an emergency out. I just came back from a Nav to Mudgee and sat on 7500 all the way there. Clean smooth air, and the view is not bad either. :)

Turbulence is never nice, and it took me a while to get use to it, and like stated earlier, accepting that it's not going to fall out of the sky or rip the wings off. It's pretty easy to descend on the dead side of the AD, and join, rather than spend 10 or 15 minutes getting belted because you dropped altitude to get setup for landing.

As you fly more, your confidence will build, and you will soon be doing it like a champ.

ALSO - Don't worry that you are nervous or anxious. That can be a good thing, as taking things for granted, or getting too relaxed could also be a detriment.

Keep learning bro, and enjoy it! :)

Cheers

J

Thanks everyone! I am actually keen to get back up there... I think though even when I get my Nav done, it might be awhile till I feel comfortable taking passengers up with me until I know I am all good.

As you said 1@cscotthendry[/uSER] it might be worth me going with a group of a adventure west and get confidence up. I really want to be able to fly myself and my Girlfriend up to Hamilton Island or a trip like that one day!! Would be insane :)

1@BirdDog[/uSER] When I got to Kingaroy the other day I couldn't do the fly over procedure though, there were gliders around and getting towed up, so I listened to the AWIS and then fly over only the active circuit to get a bit of an idea of the wind direction and then joined mid downwind. It wasn't as scary a procedure as I thought haha (I have only been use to flying over, getting the wind sock direction and descending on the dead side).

Ahh yep! Good old parachutes will also prevent you from flying over the field. Well done man! Looks like you re doing all the right things! :)

How good is it aye!! :)

That you had the courage (?) to write in and ask for advice shows that you have matured in your aviation career to the point where know that you don't know

everything!

This is very important..... IMHO the ONLY time you know everything you NEED to know about aviation is the minute after you hang your headset up for the last time. Everything prior to that is a learning experience.

When you find yourself in a tricky or unfamiliar situation remember the basics - 1. Fly the aircraft, 2. Fly the aircraft & 3. Fly the aircraft.

You made a "Command decision" to go around the range rather than over it.

That is what you are trained to do - assess a situation - make a decision that will keep you and your machine safe.

That you fly for a bit longer, used a bit more fuel - so what?

What are the implications of the diversion on fuel remaining? With a change in direction - how are you going for your cruising level - is there a change required?

Consider amending any SARTIME you may have submitted, are you still going to be at your destination in time to cancel?

Remember to tell someone that you have diverted though - I'll tell you why if u are interested.

I understand from your post that you knew where you were and a big thumbs up for that. 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

However, in the future when you may have become "temporarily geographically embarrassed" (not lost!) ask for some help - if you have a txpdr ask centre for a position & ground-speed check, that's what they are there for. You can use the updated info' to sort yourself out.

Trust me, it is much better to sort yourself out early in the piece rather than saying nothing and only speaking up when it is 15 minutes to last light and / or you have 20 minutes of fuel remaining!

Congrat's on your achievements thus far!

Cheers.