Which Zenith aircraft to scratch build

8899owen

I have a zodiac zenoth 601 and love it. 650 though is the current one.

Main thing is, what do you want to do in your aircraft? slow and short trips, longer trips where you want to go faster? Once you have your requirements, it should help you choose one.

Unless you're stony broke or a mad keen metalworker, don't scratch build. I've been scratch building a 701 for the last 8 years now. You need to drill & deburr every hole, fabricate parts, solid rivet pieces, it never ends. If I had my choice again I'd get a Savannah kit (much the same as the 701 but improved in several respects and much more common in Aus) - or better still, buy a damaged aircraft to repair.

Thanks for your reply's. Im a sheetmetal tradesman by trade and have just started working at ww11 aircraft restoration place but part of the reason i want scratch build is to help learn the skills plus it would be a few years before i could afford to buy a kit and also be able to get it to airworthy. So the time it takes to build doesn't really bother me plus I'm only in my early 30s so ive time.

Thanks for your reply's. Im a sheetmetal tradesman by trade and have just started working at ww11 aircraft restoration place but part of the reason i want scratch build is to help learn the skills plus it would be a few years before i could afford to buy a kit and also be able to get it to airworthy. So the time it takes to build doesn't really bother me plus I'm only in my early 30s so ive time.

You've probably got a few advantages then, including access to bending brakes and guillotines etc.If you go the Zenith line (if you want a high wing), I'd recommend the 750 over the 701. Skins are 0.020" rather than 0.016" and the MTOW is 600kg as opposed to the 701's 500.