AVgas available at Quilpie

That is good news, I am all for easier access to avgas. I just hope that the bowser is more reliable than the ones at Thangool and Gayndah. Maybe I should not have said bowser as it seems that Telstra is the culprit. Even so it is not nice to turn up at an airport needing fuel only to find you can't get it. I have to flight plan to allow an alternate if fuel iis not available.

Good news. As long as it works. 

We were doing a flying safari through there a number of years back and got probably the worst service from a refueller we have ever got anywhere at Quilpie. Not only poor but dangerous. 

Have since done inconvenient detours just to avoid the place. 

Might put it back on the options list. 

Its great to see a Council supporting GA by installing a gas facilit8es...most of them are pulling it out rather than replacing old equipment.

kaz

Its great to see a Council supporting GA by installing a gas facilit8es...most of them are pulling it out rather than replacing old equipment.kaz

Is it a council driven installation or a privately run one?  

Does it matter who installs it. The question I have is what is the reliability of the phone setup. Without that you will have to contact a local person and wait while they come to work the pump.

Does it matter who installs it. The question I have is what is the reliability of the phone setup. Without that you will have to contact a local person and wait while they come to work the pump.

Probably is the most important question to ask if wanting to keep the airport as a destination in the back of your mind.

My experience is If its owned by council - you will not be able  to get it to work after hours  if its broke.

Even if you ring the number in the ERSA beforehand to check it's there, installed and working you will have to ring the shire/council office and you'll get a young girl who works in the council chambers and probably never set foot on the airfield in her life. (Been there, done that!!!)

She will give you no help, false help or just have to transfer you to a groundsman or grass cutter who doesn't answer his phone when he's got it, but mostly leaves it in the shed while he goes to the pub for most of the day. When you do get him, he says he only goes there once a fortnight and vaguely remembers someone he saw using it last week. So its probably working.

If you roll up on a weekend and it's not working - that's it. No fuel!

If its privately owned the owner will generally be able to tell you if its working, what cards it'll take, how much fuel they'll have when you come through etc etc. And yep if it's broke generally he can tell you haw to get it going or he'll come out and get you some fuel.

On the flip side (and what I was thinking at the time) - If its owned by the council it suggests (without certainty but it suggests) the airfield has some longer tenure. The council is not likely to put in the infrastructure if they know they are going to sell it off for residential land.

If its owned privately there's a little bit of uncertainty that the private owner may not be privy to the councils plans. Put it up one day - close down the airport the next.

• 3 years later...