Rotax twin one side intermittent failure

Hey there all motor heads. So I had an issue with a 582 DCDI engine that while flying one cylinder quit. I know this because the EGT gauge went from operating temps right down to zero and then back up again. It did this a few times and eventually I landed in a field. I took the carbs off thinking it was over fueling on that one side. Nothing that I could see. Started right back up. The next day it acted up again for just a second and never again since. That was about 5 hours ago. I thought maybe it was some junk stuck in the float needle and that caused it to over fuel to cause the EGT drop. But now I'm thinking when it came back to power it was more like shutting the switch off and then back on. If it was over fuelling, then it should have still run at WOT... it didn't. The EGT on the dead side could have read zero because the piston was still pumping fuel. Im thinking spark now, but how on a dual ignition??? Mag checks are normal. Any ideas?

Dual ignition is two plugs per cylinder, but dual carburettors is one carbie per cylinder. That make it much more likely to be a fuel problem. As facthunter suggests water in the fuel could be the problem. The water would be dragged through the carbie by the running motor and then when fuel is available off you go. Anything else is a much longer shot and would probably need double failures of something.

Check the carbies, they have a rubber/plastic blanking pug on the side, often cracked or missing.

Could be as simple as a missing plug (plastic that is).

spacesailor

Check area aroud carb jet as a bit of rubber / plastic (fuel line material) may be blocking there. Experienced that on a run up. We had to abort the flight. Found the offending material. Then flew. Also check the fuel filters; look closely as it only takes a very small piece of debris to cause the poor running. Cheers

• 2 weeks later...