Bulk fuel storage requirements

nig71

What are the requirements for storing bulk 95ron fuel for RA-AUS? 

Having issues with poor fuel storage on farm at the moment just for regular unleaded and with the future thought of purchasing an aircraft that runs on 95ron I want to upgrade my storage and the quality of fuel for small motors. Currently going through ~2000L unleaded and possibly adding ~1600L for an aircraft and going all 95ron. 

Getting a a quote today for some storage that is mine spec self bunded with a 240v electric pump on it. 

Is is there a spec that RA-AUS requires? 

Sorry if this is in the wrong section but it sorta seems to fit.

Seen a couple using a stainless 1000l ibc in a tandem box trailer. Can setup with pump and vents etc. 12 v pumps suitable for petrol are expensive and often small/slow

Pretty sure farmers can transport and store without much dg restrictions

Could use 4x brand new 205 l drums and hand pump.

Not quite true, us farmers have to abide by the same rules as everyone else, get away with stuff as we dont tend to impact on anyone else, but a fuel spill will attract attention, fuel suppliers tend to try and make us compliant to cover their liability.

With bulk unleaded fuel, its good to have a 5-7 psi pressure valve on the vent, but allow free flow in. will stop a lot of fuel being vented on hot days and keep the 95 octane there for longer, in unpressurised tank 95 becomes 91 pretty quick.

I connect air compressor to eliminate pump, just dry the air and limit the pressure.

Seen a couple using a stainless 1000l ibc in a tandem box trailer. Can setup with pump and vents etc. 12 v pumps suitable for petrol are expensive and often small/slowPretty sure farmers can transport and store without much dg restrictions

Could use 4x brand new 205 l drums and hand pump.

Can get a stainless shuttle for $3k but not sure if it makes it legal. 

Ive been quoted $13k for a 2000L which is a bit xxy . It was an extra $4k to make a tank comply for unleaded. Can make it all a bit cheaper by using rotary vane pumps and mechanical gauges. I might get a bloke to source one from a minesite auction.

Storing and dispensing it is one thing. Transporting it on a public road is another. Especially ulp. Diesel is different.

It is alot easier to keep the tank/trailer on private property and have a tanker come and fill it up when required.

The RAA probably doesn't care how you store your fuel. It is up to you to sort that....

Not quite true, us farmers have to abide by the same rules as everyone else, get away with stuff as we dont tend to impact on anyone else, but a fuel spill will attract attention, fuel suppliers tend to try and make us compliant to cover their liability.With bulk unleaded fuel, its good to have a 5-7 psi pressure valve on the vent, but allow free flow in. will stop a lot of fuel being vented on hot days and keep the 95 octane there for longer, in unpressurised tank 95 becomes 91 pretty quick.

I connect air compressor to eliminate pump, just dry the air and limit the pressure.

Good information; I have used air pressure before to transfer diesel. I think for simplicity I will use a rotary vane pump. Or simpler still I could use gravity as I have a forklift on farm; keep the tank on a stand for small engine use and fork it to the aircraft to refuel it. 

Are valves that hold pressure in and freely flow in readily available?

Yes, just put a low pressure valve and a check valve into a tee onto tank breather

your fuel supplier should be able to help or any plumbing supply.

I have made low pressure valves with a few pipe fittings, plastic ball & spring. Not much technology in there.

Found document regarding 200l drums of avgas , up to 4x can be carried on a vehicle with no extra requirements

larger volimes can be carried with sides, fire extinguishers and eyewash. Also some paperwork

cand find much for other states

geting small volume ulp deliveries isnt easy and can be expensive

yes they look good and that's what I had in mind too. 

Another link on their site - http://www.transtainer.com.au/products/aviation-ibcs/

Im not sure that once you get to bulk sizes (larger than 205L) that you don't fall under DG rules for road transport means vehicle and driver must be DG qualified

Cannot transport any of these with pump fitted so must be removable I think