Rotax 912ULS & Oil

WestCoast

I would be interested to hear what brand & viscosity oils other Rotax 912ULS owners/operators are currently using. Also what frequency are you changing your oil & any other comments.

The link below is the last information on the subject from Rotax that I am aware of:-

http://www.rotax-owner.com/si_tb_info/serviceinfo/si912016914019.pdf

Thanks

Dave

Guest pelorus32

G'day Dave,

The ones I'm aware of are running on Castrol GPS which to the best of my knowledge is 10W/50.

Oil changes are 25 hours if running on Avgas otherwise 50 hours if on unleaded Mogas.

Regards

Mike

Mike,

I've been refered to the same Rotax Service Instruction before, and note that Section 3.4 of the URL document Dave provided advises that Rotax no longer recommends using Castrol GPS due to changes in its formulation.

I now use Shell Advance VSX4 in my XT-912 trike.

Rgds,

Glen

Guest Crezzi

I heard that the specific change in formulation for Castrol GPS was actually in other countries rather than here. But since its pretty hard to tell what formulation you are buying its probably best to avoid it hence I also use VSX4. Oil changes are 100 hours for mogas, 50 hours for mainly avgas (but 25 is recommended).

Cheers

John

Guest pelorus32

Deja Vu

I heard that the specific change in formulation for Castrol GPS was actually in other countries rather than here. But since its pretty hard to tell what formulation you are buying its probably best to avoid it hence I also use VSX4. Oil changes are 100 hours for mogas, 50 hours for mainly avgas (but 25 is recommended).Cheers

John

G'day John,

I just had a horrible feeling that this subject has been discussed here before. I think that the upshot was that someone (young guy in Mudgee...) called Bert Flood and got their recommendation for just the reason that you highlighted - oils ain't oils from one country to another.

Regards

Mike

I'm using Shell Advance VSX4 as per the Rotax Service Instruction. I'm using the premise that if Rotax have recommended it, I'll have come back if the engine craps out prematurely owing to an oil related issue.

Oil changes are at 50 hours as the engine is run primarily on PULP Mogas or 25 hours if it gets any Avgas put through it.

Cheers,

Steven B

Thanks everyone for the feedback.....looks like Shell Adv. VSX4 is the way to go.

I was a little hesitant about VSX4 initially as when I phoned the Shell technical info line, they insisted that it was a fully synthetic oil ( see this description http://www.motonational.com.au/product_details.php?pid=1145 ) yet Rotax were recommending it, even if using leaded Avgas but if Rotax say it is O.K. then I guess there should be no problem.

Regards

Dave

Guest pelorus32

OK From the horse's mouth.

Bert Flood are recommending Castrol GPS in Australia - the changes were only overseas and they like the fact of the gear additives in the GPS. They say that the Shell oil is also OK.

As for expecting that you might have some comeback on Rotax if you use their recommended oil. All I can say is faint hope.

Regards

Mike

OK From the horse's mouth.As for expecting that you might have some comeback on Rotax if you use their recommended oil. All I can say is faint hope.

Regards

Mike

There will be “faint hope”, in fact no hope, if the consumer/user/owner has disregarded the manufacturer’s recommendations.

It's quite remarkable what the Trade Practices Act can achieve for both the supplier and consumer, IF both parties are acting in good faith and have observed recommended practices as set out by the product manufacturer.

There is no incentive placed on the manufacturer or its support agencies to improve while the consumer is willing to accept what is on offer without question. To throw one's hands in the air and just accept poor product and services is why those products and services remain poor.