Lower cost ADS-B soon a reality for VFR aircraft

Admin

20 September 2018

We (CASA) are proposing to change the rules to make it easier and cheaper for VFR aircraft to voluntarily use automatic dependent surveillance–broadcast (ADS-B) technology.

This development follows public consultation on the discussion paper 'Voluntary fitment of ADS-B technology in VFR aircraft', which explored ways to increase the voluntary fitment rate across the VFR fleet by allowing a greater choice of ADS-B equipment to be considered 'fit for purpose' for VFR operations.

It sought the views of manufacturers and installers on appropriate technical standards, and the VFR community's views on whether they would adopt cheaper technology.

We received 80 responses to the consultation, and many respondents expressed support for the initiative and could see the value of ADS-B being widely adopted across the VFR community.

While there were various opinions as to the standards and technology that should be adopted, there was also strong support for technology that is compatible with different devices and meets an internationally recognised standard.

What we will do next

Based on the responses to the consultation, We will change the rules to make it easier for VFR aircraft to install ADS-B technology. The amended rules will enact the following changes:

• ADS-B 1090ES will be the technical standard recommended for VFR aircraft. This option was supported by 73% of respondents

• for type certificated aircraft: ADS-B installations will be classed as minor modifications, eliminating the need for Engineering Orders

• for non-type certificated aircraft (including amateur home-built and sports aviation aircraft): owners and operators will be able to install ADS-B avionics under self-administration arrangements. Uncertified ADS-B OUT avionics will be able to be used in any class of airspace, as long as it meets the performance standards specified in our CAO 20.18 or equivalent USA or European standards

• portable ADS-B devices meeting at least the FAA TSO-C199 or the latest UK CAA Electronic Conspicuity standards will be useable for all types of VFR operation (powered or non-powered) in Classes D, E and G airspace.

Implementing these changes will require some amendments to our legislation, including the ADS-B equipment information in CAO 20.18. No changes will happen until industry has the opportunity to view and comment on these amendments.

You can view the summary of consultation on our Consultation Hub.

But where will we find that real, non super expensive equipment. I haven't seen any advertised, in fact most of the advertising is for Garmin.

I have used Garmin products for about 20 years and it used to be good, but nowadays it is highly priced, can do many things that I have no need for and I need to get a degree in computer technique to be able to use it.

its not made yet because of the need to comply. Well I know of quite a few being developed a normal transponder is about 2 to 3k I am told these other ones that are just as good spec but not certified will be around half the price

There is a company on Facebook that are working on non certified version...was trying to find them but cant at the moment. Its a aussie company. The issue is that because the NON certified will be available only here in OZ it will be a specific market to here so will take some time

• Haha 1

There is a company on Facebook that are working on non certified version...was trying to find them but cant at the moment. Its a aussie company. The issue is that because the NON certified will be available only here in OZ it will be a specific market to here so will take some time

You need to understand how Australian tech companies operate. They usually have no goal to develop, make and sell stuff. They are designed to harvest government grants and fold when the money runs out. There are people who will write your grant application for a small cut.

• Agree 1