Older pilot getting back into flying.

CanMan

Hi All

I have decided to get back into flying after a long hiatus. I got my CPL when I was in my late 20's, worked for a while trying to develop a career. My working life took a sharp 90deg turn and I started another career. Then marriage, kids, mortgage happened and flying took a back seat.(in a very long train). I do not have any regrets in the choices I made. Even so, I want to go flying again.

I am looking at ALL options as to flying. I have considered Para-motors, gliders, air chars, owning, building, working as a pilot, etc.

I have come here as part of my looking at what my options are.

Cheers

CanMan

Adelaide, South Australia

I suggest you dig out your licence and logbook and apply for your Licence to be re-issued. Under changes just over 4 years ago all licences / qualifications remain valid permanently. You’ll obviously need to get back up to speed and get a medical, but the Licence process won’t cost you anything.

You’ll need to fill in a couple of forms, if you ring CASA they’ll tell you which forms.

• Agree 1

Hey CanMan, I recently got back into flying after a 28 year break, Got my GA ticket back in 85 then like you other life things got in the way. After a bit of messing around with CASA convincing them my license was still valid I did the conversion to Ra-Aus, Driver licence standard medical, cheaper to fly generally than GA. Get into it m8 & enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Drop in at a few active aerodromes and have a good look around and see what the scene is. It's not something to do on your own, The group you are in has a big effect on how rewarding your experience is.. You need a hangar if you OWN a plane. and don't rush into that.. Building takes a lot of time and you don't usually fly when you are building. Don't try to justify the plane as a way of going somewhere. While many do long trips It's generally better to fly "airlines" or drive if you must be home at a certain time. How old is "old"? anyhow.. There's a bit of work getting a CPL. It will all come back like riding a pushbike.. if your reactions are still there. Good luck with the re-entry.. Nev

• Helpful 1