Lovely Herc. night shot

Phil Perry

Mate woken by a Rumble in the night. . . just after midnight

Not a Dawn Patrol, a sighting in the night.

I'm working near Bradford-on-Avon during the week, staying in a farm B&B on the high ground above the town.

At night it's quiet, and dark, just the faint glow of B on A, Melksham and Chippenham on the skyline.

Tuesday was warm, clear, more like summer, so the windows were open, letting the night sounds in.. Just gone midnight, just into Wednesday,

I woke – it wasn't a car comingdown the lane.............

A Herc (or two), low & slow....

Out of bed to the window:

1506590303_gsSweikHERCS.jpg.8473ffd505f7a6fe98e03278b9e3a87c.jpg

( I asked him if the 'Star' Nav light positioning on the leading aircraft was deliberate. . . .He said it was a fluke OR THAT THEY WERE LIGHTS . .. Hmmm . . .

• Like 1

A great photo Phil . It appears that the trailing Herc has the same light arrangement too , although the port wingtip is not visible. My wife’s sister lived in Bradford On Avon many moons ago , and I recall seeing Hercs doing drops at night on the nearby Salisbury Plain , probably out of Lyneham . I believe they are all based at Brize Norton now . My wife’s family moved to Evercreech nr Shelton Mallet some years ago , it’s not bad as now I manage to see A400’s , Hercs and all sort of choppers operating out of nearby Yeovilton, when visiting them down there . I’m back again next month by the way aer kid .

• Like 1

Yeovilton, if I remember correctly has a very good museum, with among other things a Concord. When I went there it was an active fleet air arm base flying Harriers.

Harriers ?. . .ahhh. . memories eh. . . The Hercs are mainly based at RAF Lyneham, or have been for at least 25 years.. . .same area more or less. . . Matey's Herc night pic was taken from a farm B+B just far enough away from the town light pollution.

The Pommie version of the Concord was built not far away at Filton.

Harriers ?. . .ahhh. . memories eh. . . The Hercs are mainly based at RAF Lyneham, or have been for at least 25 years.. . .same area more or less. . . Matey's Herc night pic was taken from a farm B+B just far enough away from the town light pollution.The Pommie version of the Concord was built not far away at Filton.

Sadly both Filton and RAF Lyneham or no more . They closed their doors and runways to aircraft some time ago . All the Hercs moved to Brize Norton , keeping the VC10’s company , till sadly they all became coke cans too , the VC10 that is . There’s a great museum at Filton dedicated to the Concorde . I haven’t been yet , but by all reports it’s a ripper . Its on the bucket list one could say .

Great photo Phil! Brought back memories for me.

Coincidentally we are mixing it with the Singapore Armed Forces in Rocky who are currently undertaking NVG training. Weird experience flying NVFR knowing that a flight of four apaches (or Cinooks) are on approach somewhere out there on the other side of the airfield!

• Like 1

Sadly both Filton and RAF Lyneham or no more . They closed their doors and runways to aircraft some time ago . All the Hercs moved to Brize Norton , keeping the VC10’s company , till sadly they all became coke cans too , the VC10 that is . There’s a great museum at Filton dedicated to the Concorde . I haven’t been yet , but by all reports it’s a ripper . Its on the bucket list one could say .

Sorry mate. .. old man's brain disease. . I Did know they'd moved to Brize,. . .I've seen loads of them when cleared direcctly overhead en route to Popham and the South coast . . .The Museum at Filton really IS worth a visit if you can fit it into your next Pommieland schedule. . . .