Old Glenn Innis to Grafton Road

JG3

There's some very serious tiger country between Glenn Innis and Grafton. Heavy timber on steep rugged mountain slopes. The Gwydir Highway is very busy, and often covered by tree canopy.

The Old Glen Innis to Grafton road is the way to go. It was the main road in the days of the bullock teams, so had to have grazing paddocks to feed the animals along the way. Those paddocks are still clear so there are landable options just about all the way, just follow the Mann and Boyd Rivers most of the way. There's even a clearing that appears to have been an airstrip near the junction of the Boyd and Nymboida Rivers.

Starting from Glenn Innis, 20nm east along the Gwydir Highway you will see a steep valley to the south with green paddocks in the distance. Follow these valleys all the way down. Waypoints labelled on the VNC are Newton Boyd - Broadmeadows - Dalmorton - and Buccarumbi.

Starting at South Grafton go direct to Buccarumbi then follow the reverse track up hill.

1945836076_image(Mobile).png.a57a43051f4bf8fd1bdbecd6e9dc27a0.png

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Good post JG3. My neck of the woods. I usually just get high & go direct but this track offers more options if the noise stops. From South Grafton head to Buccarumbi & after crossing the Nymboida River near the junction of the Boyd River you follow the Boyd River until it turns South & then head North to the Mann River following the Old Glen Innes Road, cross the Henry River & then follow the Mann River till the Old Glen Innes Road heads North to join the Gwydir Highway. The Mann River has its source not far from Glen Innes. The Boyd River joins the Nymboida River & then the Nymboida River empties into the Mann which heads North eventually joining the Clarence to then head South & East to Grafton & on to Yamba and the sea.

I did a four and three quarter hour nav at the end of my training, came up from Evans Head to Glen Innes on the way home. It was the most enjoyable part of the whole project. Due to a misleading wind prediction in the weather report, our track took us much closer to Grafton than first planned but it made for a very scenic flight home.

• Like 1