Any accountants??

Hi guys, i was just thinking, ive spent quite a bit of $$ getting my ticket and am planning to spend more to get an instructor endorsment.. Does anyone know if any of that is claimable come tax time??

any views appreciated

cheers

Guest palexxxx

Hi Motza,

My wife is an accountant and she says that the $'s you spent initially to get your PPL is not claimable, but any further $'s that you spend to gain your instructor endorsement would be claimable.

Peter.

Guest Andys@coffs

Initial training no, anything subsequent yes, however for that to be true I think you:-

1) need to be talking about a primary source of income, or at least a source that the ATo wont argue is a hobby.

2) be actually earning an income from it at the time the expense was incurred. As such the training to get an instructors certificate probably wont count because until you have it you cant earn an income and as such initial training probably is your cert + instructors certificate.

Andy

Guest airsick

I know if you do a structured CPL course (150 hour option) then you don't have to pay GST. I am not sure if there is a similar option in RA though.

I think Andy has it pretty much wrapped up - you have to show a link between your self-eduation costs and your current work activities. The self-eductaion has to either help you perform your current duties or lead to increased income from your current duties.

If you're currently employed as a commercial pilot in some capacity and could swing the future training through your employer you may have something.

The ATO is very tight with whether the costs were incurred before any income was earned - especially with self-education...

If they have been offered the job (and can prove it with written proof), on the condition they get their qualifications, then I believe they can claim it. This is a bit of a grey area though. I would probably consult with ATO if this was the case.

However, tax pack clearly states that if the self-education is to help you get a NEW job then you cannot claim.

Catch 22 really. Need to have the job to claim it.

I was offered a job but had to pass a medical to get it.

Did (and payed for) a medical, so got the job.

Could not claim it because I was not employed at the time of the medical.

Such is life. :;)2:

Hi,

yes any expence, well according to my son(the accountant) that gets you the job is not a tax claim(medicals,text books,stationary and the like but any training to keep the job is, even if the base requirment is the qualification as you are deemed to be employed subject to you passing the course.

The son checked with ATO about that and as long as the employer states that in a letter you can claim and legitimate expences in gaining the required qualifications, the issue is getting an employer to say that in a letter.

Bob.