Hawker 800 Wing Oscillation

Downunder

Wing oscillation on what appears to be a Hawker 800XP with API winglets.

This oscillation has been reported on 800A and 800XPs with API winglets, with HBC winglets, and with no winglets at all.

[media=liveleak]5bb_1369747485[/media]

An excellent example of whole wing flutter. The surprising thing is that it wasn't obvious that they were actually doing anything about it. If it was me flying something as slippery as that I'd have power at idle and the nose 45* up in a flash. The loading of the pull-up should stop the flutter quickly and the power reduction and climb would quickly get the airspeed below the flutter excitation zone.

Mind you, that's with the benefit of having experienced flutter previously, when I had it for the first time I did exactly the wrong thing - as I described on this forum a while ago, it's a very frightening experience. And the pilots on this aircraft probably weren't expecting something like that to happen on a production aircraft within the normal flight envelope.

Thanks for posting the video!

You would try to stop it. ( the oscillation) That plane shouldn't be flying, unless on that occasion it was well outside the normal envelope so returning it to normal would rectify it.. It's pretty complex stuff that the "experts" don't always give the correct advice about. I know of two aircraft types that had wing "problems" that were allowed to continue in service with a recommended speed reduction. The "new" speed was more dangerous than the standard one . Nev