Somersby closed/closing??

Guest Bendorn

I've just completed extensive research and numerous conversations with both the local council and the realestate agent. For those of you who had jerried that I was looking to buy it, I am no longer. Due to zoning and governmental legislation it does not suit.

My search contiunues...................

• 1 year later...
Guest Maj Millard

Ozzie, was that Graham Darr flying that Storch ?. If so I thought he did an excellent job of recovering and putting it down. Shows also just how good an aircraft the Storch is also. Cheers

• 1 month later...
Guest YSMB

Somersby

Hello all,

For your information, Somersby has indeed been sold and this is the rec.flying YSMB contact.

There are plans for a re-vitalisation of the airfield, the runway surface is actually a compacted and hardened sand loam with sandstone base. In parts it is overgrown with grass and consequently a little lumpy, though definitely useable. We will be taking corrective action asap, with a view to permanent surface upgrade.

There is also a perfectly good grass strip directly alongside the main runway which is only 50m shorter and perfectly smooth. The strip length is 700m.

Approach and departure is preferred to the North as we have a slope of 2% down to the North.

There is still a hangar space or two left if anyone is interested (a bit cheaper than Cessnock). Warnervale is definitely moving soon to Belmont (Aeropelican) so this will be the only strip between BK and Newcastle and only 30mins from Wahroonga.

It will be listed in ERSA FAC from November. There are some local hazards so please call if you are coming to visit, all welcome. Very soon there will be transport (hire car/bike) available if you want to come and go in to Gosford or Sydney as well as a number of other services, such as aircraft hire and other goodies.

There will be some good things going on such as short courses on grass/sloping strip ops to broaden and increase the level of skill for those that are interested in flying t places that don't necessarily have a kilometre of black tar to land on (most places wet of Sydney).

Keep an eye out on http://www.somersbyairfield.com.au/ - we will be updating this regularly.

YSMB:thumb_up:

finally some good news, if the strip and facilities are improved, more hangarage, im sure somersby could become quite popular.! we all know in the Syd area, strips close by are desperately needed!