Hi, Flygirltake2 would like to intoduce herself

Guest Flygirltake2

Guest Flygirltake2

Hi fellow aviators

I grew up with an aeroengineer as a grandfather and spent many hours as a child at the Royal Jersey Aero Club in the Channel Islands and on flyaways to other Channel Islands or to France. My Grandfather owned a Chipmunk and took aircadets flying and teaching them aerobatics. I was a keen plain spotter from the age of 9 but for some reason did not develop a desire to fly until my mid 20's, after my Grandfather had retired.

On a whim I threw in my day job in the finance industry in Jersey and travelled to Sebastian, Florida where I spent the next 3 months learning to fly. I had a blast meeting people from around the world hour building or obtaining their ppl and flying on a daily basis to the Florida Keys, Bahamas and all around Florida.

Fast track to 2008... 2 children, debt and 20 years later... I find my son invited to a Young Eagles day at Moorabin, Victoria and being the more interested party in attending!!

Currently I am in the process of converting my US license to an Ozzie one. All my previous hours and experience count. I stumbled across this community and found lots of of very dedicated experienced individuals who are happy to share their experiences. I hope you all don't mind if I ask really stupid questions as I re-equip myself with some of the essentials I have forgotten.

Guest Flygirltake2

Hi Ross

Thank you! I now have one person to ask questions!! Don't don't know if I can post pictures of me 20 years ago.... :-)

Karen

Guest pelorus32

Hi Karen,

welcome. This place is full of "second time around" pilots. Once you are hooked you seem to stay hooked.

For me the gap was a mere 30 years. But it's like riding a bike: some of the details might fade but you still know how to stay upright.

Great to have your company.

regards

Mike

Guest Flygirltake2

Thanks Mike!!! I don't know about the riding the bike bit tho' ..... Self preservation seems a lot higher on my list of priorities than it used to be and my confidence levels have decreased inversley proportional to my age :-)

Guest Flygirltake2
Hi KarenWelcome from central Oz, Jamestown SA couple hundred k's north of Adelaide.

Flew into Essendon the other week, first time in Radar control in 20 years!

You'll be right, you can do it!

Cheers and have fun, Guy

Hi Guy

I originally learned to fly in Florida which is mostly uncontrolled airspace (apart from Miami or Space Centre) so I know what you mean. I am currently re-learning at Moorabbin with GAAP procedures which can be busy and scarey at times. Haven't visited Essendon yet. Thank you for taking the time to welcome me. Karen

Guest Flygirltake2
Hi Karen,098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif

When you feel you want to escape the confines of Moorabin.. plonk Shepparton and Echuca on the list for a quick weekend getaway.

Shepp has saturday lunches ($6) from 12.30 and would welcome you and the family to visit.

Cheers,

Ben

Hi Ben

I've been to both although visit to Shep was a "flying" one... pardon pun!!!

First stupid question - is this a private "thread" of conversation or not?

Kaz

Guest Flygirltake2
I missed that as my car broke down on the way.So missed meeting you too, I guess. I speak American as well, so ... Howdy.

Howdy to you too!!!!!

Did you learn to fly in Florida too????

Kaz

I started years (decades) earlier, but my first powered microlight flight was on the Florida Keys. I was driving to Key West and lamenting the fact that I couldn't really get a feel for the scenery from the road, when I saw a sign advertising floatplane rides. It turned out to be a Quicksilver with floats. Awesome way to see the keys. I got to fly too - because of all my hang-glider experience (such gullible people).

We even found some people 500 yards off-shore playing volleyball and BBQing knee-deep. Funny because that was just after we passed some sharks.

Those crazy Americans.

South Americans, Central Americans, Canadians and indigenous peoples excluded.

Guest Flygirltake2

Hi Guy

Re the conversion, basically I had to have a medical, ASIC security check, pass an air-law exam (which I did) and convince an examiner I can fly. It's been very hard as obviously I don't have to start from square one, all my hours from 20 years ago count and I don't have to do all the BAK and other exams. I found that most instructors know how to take you fram A to Z but couldn't cope with my unsusal circumstance. I finally found a very experienced instructor who is easily able to hone in on my areas of deficiency. I am progressing nicely now and have my first Nav in 20 years coming up this Saturday YMMB/YIVE/YLYV/YMMB.

Re the event in April do send me a flier (parden pun) as the fly-away co-ordinater at RVAC is always looking for new places to visit......

Regards

Karen

Guest Flygirltake2

Hi Slartibartfast

Your thread took me back in time. I had such a blast learning to fly in Florida

I flew to Key West on numerous occasions and have some great shots. Stillstville (why would you build houses on stilts in water off Miami in a Cyclone prone area), 7 mile bridge from the air (very impressive - tho' I'd rather fly that distance over water than drive!! - I'm sure greater structures can brag better in the last 20 years!)

The best was meeting an hour building pilot whose day job was playing war games with the British Navy in fighter jets. He flew 10 feet off the water following the contours around Bimini (Bahamas) below the level of palm trees. Spookily, we had problems with the radio coming back through the southernmost tip of the Bermuda Triangle that caused all sorts of problems when we arrived back on the mainland......

Cheers

Karen

Guest Flygirltake2

Hi Farri

I asked one today and no-one has replied as yet. It really confuses me why we avoid clouds vertically in feet and horizontally in metres......

Guest Flygirltake2

Hi Farri

I prefer the KIS method. Keep It Simple.

Complicating it by having metric/imperial is bound to confuse and therefore the margin for error (and god forbid accidents) is greater.

Cheers

Karen

Flygirltake2,

I agree with the KIS principal however I know from experience that the aviation system in this country is not easy to change.

Cloud seperation is "estimated" by the pilot and therefore will not be acurate,regardles.

I don`t think it realy matters for cloud seperation,however I see no reason why verticle distance should be measured in feet now that we`ve gone metric,other than, at present, it quickly allows us to differentiate between verticle and horizontal.

Maybe they won`t change it because there would be too many altimetres to replace???. (Joking).

Regards.