August 2006

Admin

Guest Ken deVos

Hi gtblu

Recently purchased Panasonic DMZ-FZ5. Though I'm still using the 'point and shoot' mode for dummies.

The pic from Darren has great depth of field.

Cheers

Ken.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Fred Bear

The pic from Darren has great depth of field.

Ken, all, if I told you what camera I use for my shots you probably would not believe it. Just a Kodak EasyShare CX7310 3.2 megapixel. The trick is nil zoom. Takes beautiful pictures nil zoom. For the pics I use it for I would not trade it in! :)

Hi Ken

I use a Panasonic Model: DMC-FZ5 and am still having some trouble getting good photos with it.

I think I made a mistake ordering tinted windows in my Jabiru J160 kit. I will find out eventually.

Regards

Ross Arnold

Guest David C

Geoff.

That FA18 pilot should know by now that there is a NO SMOKING policy during take off and landing !! ;) ;)

Guest Guest

The Tinted windows are probably only the Windscreen in your J160. I'm yet to see any tinted side windows and you'll take 99% of your photos out of those anyway.

Having non-tinted side windows are an advantage when it's getting dark and you can't see out the front windscreen, so you just look out the side to see the runway. Trouble is with the clear windscreen is that the amount of heat that comes through can sometimes be unbearable, especially when travelling in a westerly direction in the later afternoon, so unless you're flying at night, you made the right decision.

Nosmo

Hi Nosmo

You have just put my mind at rest besides I just checked to find that the side windows are clear. I appreciate your point about landing into the sun. :big_grin:

I still have vivid memories of landing the Leeton ES52 MkIV Kookaburra into the sun at Brobenah and the frontal view being virtually invisible from the glare of a well scratched perspex windscreen.

It was reassuring to look out the side window and watch the surface from there. It turned out to be a very smooth landing.

Regards

Ross Arnold

Guest Ken deVos

Hi Ross

The only problem I had with the DMC-FZ5 occurred when I took it off the Dummies mode and all the shots I took had a severe blue tint. Someone had seriously fiddled with thewhite balance.

Great 12x zoom, but I think I understand what Darren meant and will try to keep minimal zoom when I needthe depth of field.

Cheers

Ken.

Hi Ken

I usually find that I have foregotten a setting usually the white balance as well. So I almost always take a trial shot or two or three to get the white balance right together with the depth of field etc. Zooming in especially to 12X is difficult without a tripod even more so in a Jabiru. I would like to go up some time when there was a clear blue sky. Every time I go up lately half a dozen people seem to have decided they are going to burn some stubble.

When I flew glideers before they changed the rules some years ago Leeton rubbish tip was a great nav aid with it's plume of smoke almost always present.

Iwas going to insert a couple of pics here but for some reason it won't let me - I don't have sufficient rights!

Regards

What a great looking Sportstar nice photo. Great to meet you Geoff, was also good to catch up with a few other folks from the forums while we were there.

Still going through our pics from the weekend, will post some once I've sorted them...and get a few minutes break from work

Trying a different edited photo.

This is one of the features of our landscape after the rice harvest. Most ricestubbles are not burnt nowadays.

Taken from my brother Don'sKitfox on one of his visits to Leeton. Note what is probably a rice header in the foreground.

You can just see the small hill behind Murrami village on the horizon just to the right of the smoke. Ross

20060814_122514_Gogeldrie_2003_.jpg.0de48e2fe059eeaa89662eb0dcc2550d.jpg

Guest Ken deVos

Great photo Ross ;)

Sometimes in favourable conditions, when thesmoke from these fires reaches the higher atmosphere, an interesting cloud pattern forms.

Cheers

Ken.

Geoff - Re your pic of the SportStar ... you elegantly captured the Cessna behind it, too, with one leg in a hole.

Ross - Re your pic of the burn-off ... I've jumped into a couple of those inmy Glider. There's a good 2000 ft/minor more in those smoke plumes+ the wildest ride of your life + good lessons in holding your breath.

Regards Captain

Yes Cap the Cessna was bogged we watched him taxi in, and dig it outsmiley16.gif Did your trick in the smoke in a Salto one day to get home, but the bastard was burning green treated pine posts I was sick for hourssmiley19.gif Geoff

Hi All

The first fire photo above was taken from near Gogeldrie rice shed,between Leeton and Whitton.

The two below were taken of the same smoke but from just North of the village of Murrami.

[ATTACH]565[/ATTACH]

The same smoke above about 20 minutes later and taken approx20 miles northof the fire. The smoke appears to have moved along the ground. The village of Murrami is in the middle of the pic just behind the small isolated hill.

[ATTACH]566[/ATTACH]

Zoomed in a bit probably twenty seconds later. Part of the village of Murrami can just be seen behind the hill in the foreground.

Don was not volunteering to fly his Kitfox into the smoke. As far as I know he has never done any gliding ( I should say soaring).

The smoke seems to have reached the inversion layer and stopped rising. Rice stubble fires are often notveryhot compared tosay a wheat stubble firebecause the straw is often damp with a dryflag and the ground is probably quite wet underneath.

Regards

Ross

20060814_114418_Murrami_2003_02.jpg.23394a1076f74238ae553a65bdf024d3.jpg

20060814_114548_Murrami_2003__0.jpg.97c803a6ef41b13de38d6d1a5faf1875.jpg

Guest David C

Katoomba Airfield on a hazy , breezy and slightly choppy day . Still better than having your feet on the ground though !!

Dsc01589.jpg.c2c7802d46f7b9368bb462ca7da8bf65.jpg