AN-2 gets the axe.

willedoo

Looks like there might be a few cheap AN-2's coming on the market. UTair has been banned from operating their 47 AN-2's which form a large part of their cargo fleet. They've fallen victim to the current overhaul of the Russian domestic aviation industry. Utair operates more than 100 passenger jets, including more than 40 Boeing 757 & 737 types with plans to buy 10 more 767's next year. As well they have around 60 passenger turboprops, 340 helicopters worldwide & a small cargo fleet. Apart from the AN-2's, they have 7 other cargo planes, made up of 4 AN 26's and 3 AN-74's. Doesn't seem to be any problems with the rest of the fleet.

There hasn't been any reason in the English speaking news as yet as to why they were banned, whether it's to do with their age or some other issues. They're a good safe old aircraft given adequate maintenance. I like the idea that they can fly at 30 kts under full control. There appears to be a good demand for them as privately owned, collectable classics, so they should be able to get rid of them easily. Fairly cheap to buy, but I'd guess they'd cost a fair bit to run & maintain.

Cheers, Willie.

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20111024/168059564.html

[ATTACH=full]782[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]18020[/ATTACH]

an-2.jpg.3f9692d0bd8bc8f85f5755545f81852f.jpg

An absolutely classic aircraft... But the maintenance on them... Jeezzzuus... It'd make ya wallet weep...

I suppose they were built in the days when fuel was cheap, I remember reading somewhere that the pre-flight check takes between 30-40 minutes. Was looking forward to seeing one at the recent Festival of Flight at Caboolture, but didn't even think about going as we had really bad weather & a few inches of rain that weekend. I guess the event would have been cancelled. I think there's one in Victoria that does joy flights.

Cheers, Willie.

Th

There are 2 An-2's on the Aussie register, VH-CCE and VH-NYT. Cant find a photo of YNT, but here's one of CCE "Big Bird".http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/076162.html

Peter

Thanks, Peter, I saw that one (CCE) on a website advertising adventure flights, how current the site was, I don't know. I'd love to see one in the flesh & check out those spring loaded slats on the wing leading edge. I like this bit:

A note from the pilot's handbook reads: "If the engine quits in instrument conditions (blind flying when you can't see the ground) or at night, the pilot should pull the control column full aft (it won't stall) and keep the wings level. The leading-edge slats will snap out at about 64 km/h (40 mph), and when the airplane slows to a forward speed of about 40 km/h (25 mph), the airplane will sink at about a parachute descent rate until the aircraft hits the ground."

Cheers, Willie.

The antonov 2 is a fun aircraft to own, and yes it requires lots of money to keep it up and running.. Currently CCE is the only an2 airworthy in AUS,, YNT is having issues with the CofA process however i believe its almost completed.

We have based CCE at Lilydale in Victoria for a few months to avoid the QLD storm season, and we will be conducting adventure flights ex yarra valley in it. more info can be found on our website..

www.an2.com.au

The antonov 2 is a fun aircraft to own, and yes it requires lots of money to keep it up and running.. Currently CCE is the only an2 airworthy in AUS,, YNT is having issues with the CofA process however i believe its almost completed.We have based CCE at Lilydale in Victoria for a few months to avoid the QLD storm season, and we will be conducting adventure flights ex yarra valley in it. more info can be found on our website..

www.an2.com.au

Thanks for the information, looking forward to seeing it, and hopefully a flight.

Cheers, Willie.

Today (Saturday) is a glorious sunny day (after a week of overcast and rain) in Melbourne, so I took a run out to Lilydale and got some photos of VH-CCE.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/28/vhcceantonovan2ylil2011.jpg/][/url]

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/17/vhcceantonovan2ylil2011.jpg/][/url]

This shot shows the comparative size of the An-2 against the normal GA aircraft at YLIL, and the lush growth after recent rains.

Unfortunately the owner wasn't present, but there is a charity day next Sunday when he will be giving joyrides. Hope I can get out to get some action shots. A few other aircraft expected to fly in as well. There's a guy out there who has a Tiger Moth which has been unregistered for 20 years, which he has just got flying again. It was in the hangar today, maybe out next week.

Regards,

Peter.

Nice shots, Scott. Hopefully the weather will be good next Sunday, when the Big Bird is supposed to be flying. If everything works out I hope to get some action shots and perhaps some video.

Peter.

What an awesome aircraft! I happened on one at Wanaka last week- what's left of the Warbirds museum was closed, and the nearby Toy and Machinery museum was well worth the dozen $. An AN-2 towered over cars, bikes and other historic relics, and it was fascinating to see the wing structure up close. As can be seen in Scottw's pix it has what looks like full-span slotted flaperons on both upper and lower wings. Not so, there is a gap between flaps and ailerons, but their stricture is near-identical. At high AoA air flow is accelerated up and over the upper surface, improving low-speed control. Perhaps a design we home builders can learn from.

Incidentally, i believe an AN-2 was once used by a whole family or three to defect from the Soviet bloc to the west.

More info and images of the An-2:

First flight: 1947

Manufactured from 1947 to 1997 - the longest production run on record, 50 years - 20,000 built

The world's largest single engined bi-plane

Seats 14 - 12 pax and 2 crew

Carried over 100 million passengers

Compare the size with a Piper Warrior (note the wing shadows - they are side by side)

Topping up the engine oil. (Climb the steps on the port side, just forward of the tail, walk up the spine, andover the cockpit windscreen. Note the walkway on the photo above.)

Dipping the fuel tank (And they complain about checking the tanks in a Cessna!)

Peter.

• 1 month later...